How much house work should a stay-at-home parent do as opposed a working spouse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it depends on the household and what the couple agree on. Both my hubs and I work full time- granted I am a WAHM and I am home all day where hubs works 1hr away from home. Both hubs and I live in our house, and we are both responsible for cleaning, cooking, paying bills, running errands and childcare. Granted some days one of us might do more than the other-- but it all evens out in the end.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Honestly, this might be old fashion of me, but I truly think the stay at home should do most of it. They are at home, while the other person is out of the house & not there. I mean I think both should help out, even if its just something as simple of taking out the trash, but a stay at home parent or SO should do most of the housework.

& Before I get Bashed for Saying that, Let me Just say one more thing. I AM A STAY AT HOME MOM
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 2:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Whatever works out best for the couple in question. There are no 'rules'. Every house hold is different. I work part time do almost all the house work plus I pay the bills but DH does a lot of the child rearing. It's what works for us.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well, I am supposed to clean everything since he is the one who works and I stay at home with the kids.. and I might get lucky if he cleans the kitchen after I cook.. oh it was very nice tho after surgery he got to take care of our two month old and clean the house.. He said he was exhausted.. I just said welcome to my life... trying to clean everything with a newborn haha
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just my personal opinion but if I had the opportunity to be a stay at home parent I would do all the house work. I would probably also actually get out of bed and make breakfast everyone too. I guess I'd feel really lucky to be able to have that opportunity in my life.
    As far as things like remodeling then I would expect my husband to help me - but seriously I can't take out and put in windows, or drywall, or put up molding.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• On my end - I love cleaning, I take care of it all, I prefer it that way. The house is always clean by the time he comes home so whatever him & my son mess up (playroom wise, especially living room, and not counting dishes from dinner, that's my area) he does help me with before we go to bed. I like to wake up to a clean house. Days he's overly exhausted, or like this week where his allergies are beating him left & right & he's a hard worker as is (no desk job there) I'll tell him to leave the mess to me & relax. Which he never listens. I'll go to the bathroom just to tinkle, come out & he's picked up all the toys. Sigh. :)
    ireland.runaway

Answer by ireland.runaway at 2:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Uh, I work and I really can not stand it (please do not take this the wrong way) when SAHM say they don't have enough time to clean the house. I am away from my home for 9 or more hours a day and when I come home I spend an hour maybe cleaning/cooking and the rest with my daughter until she goes to sleep and then I will do laundry and other things. My house is not spotless by any means and would be cleaner if I did SAH, but I can't do that. I know a girl who SAH and I go to her house and it is always a mess. I mean I have no room to talk because for the most part my house like I said is not THAT clean, but then again I am down to 2 full days on the weekend that I get most of my work done. Sometimes I don't because who wants to spend the day off cleaning?
    cloverlover24

Answer by cloverlover24 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well here's another twist on this. I'm a WAHM. I do 90% of the cleaning and about 95% of the cooking and child rearing. He does help but only when I give a specific task that needs to be done. I went to the office yesterday and came home and the toys were picked up, dishes and laundry done, but our DD didn't get a bath. He gets to be me one day a week and didn't even get it all done. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Hmm, Ill start a question from this question. How much help would we get if we where the ones working and our hubbies stayed home with the kids? I worked FT and on Saturdays dad would stay home with the kids. I spent all week maintaining the house, then on Saturday when I got home from work, it looked like a tornado hit it. Guess what I did all day on Sunday?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• for us, i do almost everything around the house. there are a few chores, like trash, that he does. he works a lot and i stay home so taking care of the house is like my job. when he comes home i dont like for the house to be a wreck, i like to keep it clean for him. on his days off he will help me clean.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010