How to keep them from unbuckling the car seat....

My DS is 3-1/2 and has learned that he can undo the top buckle of his 5-pt restraint. (The legs are still bound by the crotch latch.) He was doing this for "fun" (just because he figured out he could) and now is doing it when he's frustrated about not getting his way, or not going where he wants to go, etc. It's not often (thank goodness), but enough that I am concerned for his safety. I do pull over ASAP and sit until it's buckled back, but what else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• For something like that..I would spank. That is dangerous. I may never ever spank, but, when it come to some that is nonnegotiable and safety issues...I would. If nothing else has worked.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Ny DD did this one time. I pulled over fussed at her and buckled it back and explained why she had to be in a seat. I told her if I had to stop the car to buckle her again she could count on getting a pop in the leg as well. I don't normally 'spank' but safety is important enough for me to cross that line.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• get a piece of adhesive velcro. put the "pokey" side on the chest clip, he probably won't like the feeling and will stop playing with it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You may need to purchase another car seat. I have the Britax Marathon for my Son who is going to be 4 next month. I can barely open the belt latches myself so there is no way he would be able to do it. They are very tight & It takes muscle power he does not have. It is good up to 65 lbs. too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• ugh my 21month old has learned to do this, is he too young to do that? it gets me mad he has learned to unbuckle the plastic part not the metal part yet but his arm are all out if we would have a car accident he would completely fly out. i yell at him n tell him no but he is too young to understand.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• 21 months is NOT too young to understand. Give him credit. He already is unbuckling.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am so sorry but I would tear up her behind if this happened in either of her cars. I know her Daddy wouldn't hesitate either. Safety is number one. You need to put the fear of God in him when it comes to safety. Pulling over and sitting until he re buckles is ridiculous. You have to be the parent to enforce safety. Someone can still hit you even if you are pulled over. Make it a big deal and he will respect it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Tell him he will get hurt if they unbuckle the seat athat its DANGEROUS
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Mine have tried that and yes this is one time that I flew off the handle....However I have found that if I turned the "button piece" around backward they couldn't get the leverage they needed to unbuckle...
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 8:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Honestly, those are things I would get a little loud if I had to. Say something like "don't you dare unbuckle that or you are going to be in BIG trouble" and say it like you mean it. Tell him he can get hurt really really bad and he WILL leave it alone or face consequences.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010