what else can i take for heartburn?

I have heartburn so bad at night that it keeps me awake like all night. I take tums but that does not even beign to cut it. I even sleep with my head high up it crazy. Any ideas?

shaynaj

Asked by shaynaj at 10:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My OB told me it was okay to take Pepcid, and I did and it helped. Ask your doctor, you may be able to take an over the counter med like Pepcid or Zantac. Goodluck.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• pepcid works wonders and most of the time if you ask your dr. for a prescription it will be from the pepcid line. I got heartburn everyday from everything... even water. i got the prescription and when i needed to get it refilled the pharmacy was already closed so i just got the pepcid complete... worked just as good.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:46 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i took tums everyday. 2 everyday, and if i got bad heartburn i took more. the calcium in it helped too.
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 10:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I agree. Pepcid works well. I would eat small meals and not eat for about 2 hours before bedtime so there is less stomach acid. Try those things first and see if they help. If you are pregnant, be sure to tell your OB about the medicines you are going to take. Feel better!
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 10:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I had to take Pepcid and stop eating by around 6pm. I am not sure I was supposed to, but I also took Tums.
    Angie211

Answer by Angie211 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Drinking milk helps. Kinda like when you eat something spicy and hot...milk usually works.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:35 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• tums or try to drink milk
    s.bryant

Answer by s.bryant at 11:59 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• thanks i will talk to my ob wed. I tried eating smaller meals that helped a little i will try not eating for like two hours before bed
    shaynaj

Answer by shaynaj at 12:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Ok, this sounds weird, but pickles help me more than Tums or anything else. My MIL likes pickled beets instead. My daughter has great results from a mix of vinegar and honey. It doesn't taste great, but she likes the results. (and hates pickles LOL)
    mama3ks97

Answer by mama3ks97 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i take Tums and drink milk. Sometimes the tums don't do enough so I HAVE to drink the milk, and I'm talking like 16 oz of milk. That will finally ease mine and not laying on my right side or sitting straight up. I normally lean to my left side
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 18, 2008