How to teach 3 year old daughter to poop in toilet?

Michelle733

Asked by Michelle733 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't..you take her every 15 minutes and have her sit and try to potty. At least once, you will catch her pooping and praise her and she will connect the two. Once it's routine, up it to 30 minutes..and so on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm not sure. My 2 yo will tell me that she has to go but she will wait until nap time when I put a diaper on her and go sometime during her nap.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No diapers or pull-ups either. Go right to underwear.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Go straight to undies. And keep taking her. Clap and say yay when she does poo on the potty
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I just went to underwear when my son started showing an interest and waking up from naps dry or wakign up in the morning mostly dry.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Practice, practice, practice. Make her clean up the poopy underpants, or help anyway. Talk talk talk to her about pooping in the toilet. Let her practice. These things take time.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:46 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Try rewards. That totally did the trick with our 3 yr old. Once he realized he could get a car for pooping, we were set. (We gradually phased it out by just distracting him afterwards and he didn't realize he didn't get a car.) He's actually better at pooping on the potty than at peeing. Keep a close eye on her when you suspect she needs to poop (aroma is often a key tip off!). As soon as she looks suspicious (our son always hid in the same spot), take her to the potty. Just keep trying. Personally, I think that making her clean it up is counter productive but that's just my opinion.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 18, 2010