Have any furbabies that may get jealous when the baby comes?

I am expecting my first in December and I have two furbabies that are like my children. Mikey and Millie are both 3 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgis that are sure to get a bit jealous. They have been around young children before and did wonderfully but I just don't want them to feel they're being abandoned. Anyone else concerned about their furry loved ones?

Anna-Chubaby

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 2:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i have a dog that probably will. this will be our second baby and we got our dog when our dd was pretty small. he will probably be fine around the baby, i will just have to make sure i pay him some extra attention when i have a minute.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We had 3 cats when our DD was born and the only odd thing they did was get in and lay in her things when she was out of them or lay underneath or next to them while she was in them. We have one of the 3 still and she is very close to our DD.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I thought mine would. They didn't. The one who I was most concerned about jealousy with is actually very very protective of DD. If she whimpers in Her sleep, he gets up to "check on her" and then noses me to help her.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I was worried about that when I had my second because we'd had our cat since he was 1 wk old....but he was fine...he would lay next to the baby when he was on the couch and if the baby cried the cat would pace and meow until I took care of the baby...even though the baby was usually in my lap just fussing because I wasn't getting the boob ready fast enough...
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My husband's guinea pig might get jealous
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 5:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My dog would just ignore my baby at first, especially once she could start crawling. If she tried to crawl to him, he would get up and walk away. She is now a year old and he is so good with her. She climbs all over him, gives him hugs, plays with his toys and he does great. I think they all get used to it eventually. A good trick I learned was when you bring the baby home from the hospital, take your dog outside to meet them. Then take the baby inside first and then let the dog back in. This way he doesn't think it is his house.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I helped my pets get used to having a new LO around by having baby stuff(bouncy seat,bassinet,etc) around a short time before both of my children were born and also when we both were still in the hospital have someone bring a swaddle blanket to the house so your pets can get used to the new babies smell it really does help with the transition.G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010