If you adopted from Another counrty did you keep any of your child's given name?

We did. We moved her given \ name to the middle and chose a new first name so she is Hannah Mei-Xing Correy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Adoption

• We kept her Chinese name as a second middle name. It was the only thing she came to us with that was really hers, and I couldn't bear to take it away from her.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• If I ever adopted I think I would feel the need to keep some of their heritage in their name. That's just me though and who knows if it ever came up I may change my mind.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Haven't adopted any children but my husband's aunt and uncle adopted a little boy from Vietnam and his name was Dong or Doung (not 100% sure on the spelling) but in English/America slang it sounded like "dong" you know a slang for penis. I think that may have played a part in their decision to change it, also the fact that he had to have a "Christian name" so they changed his name to Josiah which I thought since the boy was already 7 years old would be weird for him, but he seems to be doing ok.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We did not keep any of our dd's Chinese name. She was named by the orphanage director so she has no familial ties to it at all and the way she was named had little meaning...her Chinese name was Gang ( for the city the orphanage was located in) and Xiamiao ( summer sprout).
    When we saw her picture we knew what to name her immediately...she became Lillian Lin. Her name is after 3 of her Grandmothers and is the Chinese spelling of Lynn...her GGGGM's name was Lillian and my MIL's middle name is Lynn and my mom's name is Linda so we chose Lin to incorporate both of their names and went with the Chinese form of the name..it means "beautiful jade"..which fits her perfectly.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 5:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We did not keep our sons given name but we did give him a Chinese middle name. He is Hudson Lei. Lei means Thunder and it suites him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I havent adopted but my grandmother did adopt two children when her bio children were grown and both kept their names.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I adopted from Mexico and changed the name to what we had picked out.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 7:52 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• I've never adopted, would love the opportunity. I think IF I ever did adopt, if the baby had a name, I would use the name but, probably call them something more "American." If the baby did not have a name I would probably use the culture to chose a middle name.
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 4:08 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• We adopted three from South Korea and kept a part of their Korean name as their middle name. It's a part of who they are and where they came from. It's not like you can tell them they came from you, they look different and knew it at small ages. They were all adopted as infants. Two are teenagers now and one is 10 and they all have expressed their uniqueness with their names.
    momofkorean3

Answer by momofkorean3 at 6:51 PM on Sep. 30, 2010