Can A True Christian Be Afraid of Death??

I am not for a debate on this topic, I am asking a personal question. I have been a born-again Christian since 2004. I trust Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and I know that I am going to Heaven. That being said, the thought of dying gives me anxiety attacks at times. I'm not scared of the afterlife. I'm scared of the actual death part of it all.

I know that everyone dies, but it scares me immensely. The thought of leaving my husband (or having him leave me) and my child...the thought of my life being over...it seriously wigs me out.

Any help, ladies?

MommyRust

Asked by MommyRust at 11:02 AM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most of us are terrified of something unknown. What do we know about death? Practically nothing from our standpoint. I had a lifethreatening illness and even though I was a believer for many years, wigged out doesn't begin to describe how petrified I was. It is natural. I am sure some people aren't really fearful, some of them not Christians. I think we can become less fearful by working on fully trusting God. I believe when our death is emminent, we are much more capable of handling what we can't when we aren't meant to be leaving this earth. We are created that way and there are things we can work on to be a peace about it. It's amazing how humans can make transitions from one stage of life to another. It isn't always easy, but we do it. I think death is like that.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 4:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I don't think that it is actually afraid of dying just the unknown, you known your going to heaven, but just not the of dying and the unknown feeling perhaps? I've know what you mean, when I leave this world I'm going to heaven but just knowning that I'm gonna die and leave my loveds ones terrifies me. God bless and I'll be praying for you, just pray about it and ask God to help.
    my4loves3

Answer by my4loves3 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I agree with my4loves3, it is probably the thought of leaving my children that terrifies me the most. I accept the fact that one day my life will end and I try to live my life as close to God as possible for me. I am by no means "saintly" and therefore cannot be absolutely sure if I am going to Heaven, so that scares me a little too. But all in all you should stop concentrating on death and concentrate instead on living your life in a way that would make your Creator proud. Be as good a person as you can be and enjoy the life that He has given you. Enjoy your children and your family, none of us can dictate the hour of our death, just prepare for it by living a life dedicated to God. K, I am off my soap box now, sorry for being so long winded!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 11:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Thank you ladies. I think that the part that scares me most is what you put, hibicent, "you can't dictate the hour of your death." I think it scares me to know that it could happen at any time, no matter what I do.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 11:53 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• As humans, it's natural for us to be afraid of death. Jesus himself had to pray and fight his flesh to carry out his ultimate sacrifice. Being a Christian, we should not fear what comes after death, but death itself frightens me also. "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
    --Psalm 116:15"
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 12:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• MommyRust, from your pic I see that you are a new mom, first time mom? If so your fears are quite normal. We all develop a stronger sense of mortality when you look into that little face for the first time, it's almost an awakening of sorts, you all of a sudden are aware of the fragility of life. It's okay to be a little scared, we all are. What's important is that you don't let that fear paralyze you and keep you from enjoying the beautiful and precious gift God blessed you with.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 12:19 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• hibicent - Yep, I'm a first time mom. :) It definately was an awakening when she was born. I don't remember what life was like before her!
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 12:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Honestly, no - the thought of my death doesn't scare me at all. Granted, I was suicidal for many many years, and actually very angry that all of my suicide attempts had failed. Now that I'm happily married with children, I certainly don't want to leave them, but I have a lot of peace within me that they will be OK after I'm gone. Be it tomorrow or in 40 years - they'll be OK. I'm raising them in the Church, their father is a God-fearing man, I'll teach them as much as I can, but they'll have the foundation they need.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 12:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• if your truley saved theres nothing to be worried about because christ will take care of you, however its only human nature to fear death even if its alittle. talk to your pastor about this they could help tremenduslly
    anh2231

Answer by anh2231 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i think so... I am a Christian and i am terrified. not about where i am going or what will happen to me once i am gone. but i just want to leave my son and family. i know that one day i will see them again, but its the waiting that gets me. everyone says it is normal to be afraid of death... i think its our nature
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 2:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2008