How old should my son be when I take him off the bottle?

My son turned 1 two weeks ago and I want to take him off the bottle but my step mom got pissed when I told her, she said "he's growing up so fast don't take that away". How old was your child when you went straight sippy cup and how did you do the transfermation?

dawn612

Asked by dawn612 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids wher a year old when I got rid of the bottle.

Answer by louise2 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My kids went from bottle to regular cup (they did not have sippy cup back in the late 70's early 80's)

Answer by louise2 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter was off the bottle by her first birthday. She started acting like she didn't want it, so thankfully she quit it by herself. She went straight to a cup with a straw. She would never drink out of the sippy cups, don't know why. She's two now and still drinks out of the cup with a straw.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son was weaned from the bottle shortly after he turned one. I'd say within a week and a half he was completely on the sippy cup. My daughter is 11 months old and has already been introduced to the sippy cup, but she won't be weaned until she's a year old.

I personally think a child shouldn't have a bottle after they turn one. Not for any other reason then it is something for infants, not toddlers or children. It's just a way of allowing them to grow up a little bit. And it's such a insignifigant thing, that it wouldn't allow them to grow up too fast as your SM suggests.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Both of my kids were off of the bottle by the time they turned 1. I think my son was about 1 and my daughter was around 10 months... just dont use the sippy's with the nipple like top...its just like giving them a bottle. Try giving him a regular cup with small amounts of water in it to teach him to tip it up.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I introduced him to a sippy when he was like 7 monthes old and he loves it, but the bottle is his first choice. So should I only give him a bottle in the morning and at bedtime feedings?HELP!!!! I think your answers will do me some good.
    dawn612

Comment by dawn612 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter wasn't off the bottle until she was 13 months but my son was off right at a year because he saw his sister drinking from a cup and picked it up quick.

Maybe you can only give him a bottle if he refuses the cup but always keep a cup in sight for him. At first my son would only drink juice from a cup because it was sweeter
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I answered a question just like this a few days ago.
    Yes, take him off the bottle but gradually works best.
    Do not offer the cup at times when he will be fussy. The bottle is comforting, therefore a part of nap time. Try the sippy cup during food meals. Put something yummy in the cups like watered down juices.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Do not make the bottle an option. give him a sippy cup only.

Answer by louise2 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• we did it cold turkey, when he was 13months
    KaliLeanne

Answer by KaliLeanne at 4:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2010