4wk old very constipated, any help?

my best friends baby is very constipated and wanted advice, any help/info I can pass on to her?

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not fun but take a rectal temp. and make sure to use some vaseline on the thermometor. It will help the process! Also, if it is super hard poop than a little pedylite, an ounce or two max. Rub the belly just below the belly button and on her lower back just above her butt cheeks for comfort.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• He's only constipated if he is pain and the poop comes out dry and hard. Babies can go up to 10 days without pooping. It's perfectly normal. My son went 4-5 days all the time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Is the baby breast fed or formula fed?

Some formulas just don't work well in some babies. If she can give breast milk, that has a natural laxative effect.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The formula can constipate. If baby is passing hard poops, that is constipation and she counters it by dropping the formula and just nursing. She should know that the formula can also cause supply problems.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think she is both breast feeding and formula feeding her daughter.
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yup, if she is feeding 2 different milks, they will digest differently. Breastmilk digests very well and does not constipate. If she can, she should stop formula feeding. It would better for baby and mom.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I did let her know that she should lower the intake of formula but she likes giving her DD formula at night. she doesnt have internet and my son has never been constipated so I'm asking on here. Is there anything she can give or anything other to help?
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Also, try a diff formula, dr told me that finishing a small can than swithching to a new formula was totally okay to find one that worked for dd's tummy. Just don't switch formula up every feeding, that is where problems with formula feeding happen.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I just called her and her DD has a very hi temp and is on the way tot eh er thnks for the info!
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010