What is your favorite crafty hobby and how did you learn to do it?

My favorite thing is knitting. I have great memories of learning to knit with my grandma. I used to help her roll her skeins into balls and then she started teaching me the basics so I could make blankets for my Barbies!! Now I make all kinds of things. I think it is one of the best things she could have taught me....for me it is a great stress reliever!!

jillybean4

Asked by jillybean4 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I LIKE TO WRITE POEMS AND SONGS OR SING
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The only thing "crafty" I do is scrapbooking and I taught myself that. I don't do it as often as I used to though.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• OOPS MY NUMBER ONE THING THOUGH IS COOKING I TAUGHT MYSELF HOW TO DO IT AFTER MY FATHER DIED BEFORE HE DID HE TAUGHT ME TO.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• And Knitting you can do absolutely anywhere, except for an airport or plane. Haha Anymore at least. I bet it'd be great for long car trips as well to help you pass the time. My mom/dad tried to teach me how to knit, but I could never manage to quite get the hang of it. ah well.

My favorite .. well two favorites .. things to do are sewing and photography. I became interested in photography throughout the years, but it wasn't until I was 18 living in Ithaca, New York that I really got into it. My Granddad owned an old Manual Minolta and he let me barrow it when the family and I went on a trip to Maine. I then fell in love. Not only with the camera, but also with the art and freedom of photography. I am mainly self taught, with a few tips and technique tricks from friends and family over the years.

Sewing is something my mom taught me. We've made many things over the years. We have great memories together at the machine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Mine is knitting, I learned it from my mom.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I like to Crochet, i learned the very basics from my mom, i learned how to make hats and stuff from YouTube
    mami2emily

Answer by mami2emily at 3:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Mine is knitting as well. I taught myself a few years ago from a CD I bought at Joann's. The hardest part I have is actually finishing anything though. Love to start, hate to weave in the lose ends. As of 2008 TSA still allowed knitting needles in airports, btw :) Made waiting for a delayed flight much less stressful.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• knitting and I taught myself out of a book about 5 years ago. I've been having way too much fun knitting little sweaters and hats for my 2mo son. In the hospital he wore a different hand knit hat each day. I had so many compliments and he was known as the "hat baby" in the nursery, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm a self taught quilter. I just love playing with fabric . I also play with a lot of fibers and stamp/paint/dye my own fabric.

I knit a little in the winter. But the repetative motion irritates my tendonitis, so I only do it in moderation.

My new favorite thing is temari balls. They are beautiful and range from easy to really complex. I learned to do them in a fiber arts group. To see what they click here.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I learned how to make hairbows about 3-3 1/2 years ago when my dd first got hair and I just bought a couple and seen how they were made and started making them.

I LOVE to sew and my Memaw taught me how to do that. I sew stuff for my girls all the time now.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010