Don't clean up after your pooch=lose the privilege to be a dog owner?

I'm tired of having to dodge dog poop every time I go to the park, or when I take my daughter on a walk. It's ridiculous that dog owners can't clean up after their animals. Should people who refuse to clean up after their dogs lose the privilege to be dog owners?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It'd be hard to enforce, but you're right that people who own dogs need to clean up their poop.. Just like when you have a baby, you don't let them poop around the floor and outside of people's houses.. You use a diaper and you dispose of them properly.... If someone can't do that with dog poop, they shouldn't have a dog...
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't know about losing the privilege to be dog owners, but I think they should be fined and have to do community service picking up dog poo. It's irresponsible to not clean up after your dog!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• That would be really hard to enforce. And who's to say it's not just one time, when they accidentally forgot to bring a bag for the poop? Should they really lose their animal over that?

Furthermore, there are so many animals in the shelters as it is. As much as I hate dog poop in public places, I also hate that there are animals being put to sleep everyday because no one will adopt them. Taking more pets from possibly very loving owners would only make that problem worse. Like I said, I don't like seeing dog poop either, and I always clean up after my dog...but honestly, I wouldn't say that it's such a problem that it bothers me. At least, not enough to want more dogs in shelters.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The animal shelters would be more overloaded than they already are, and they would euthanize a ton of poor pups that didn't know any better.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think a more appropriate consequence would be to be fined pretty stiffly. If you take your kid to a restaurant and he wipes his spits all over the seats and you do nothing about it, there should probably be a repercussion, but not have your kids taken from you.

95% of the time I clean up after our dog, but there is that 5% of the time when I forget to bring a bag with us on our walk... I'd hate to get him taken from us because of that small percentage.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• They do have a fine in place in my city for this. I always see people walking their dogs now with plastic bags and paper towels. At an apt complex of a friend of mine, they actually have doggie disposal cans to dispose of doggies doo doo.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Good idea if you could enforce it. I think in certain places you can be fined for littering.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• In California it is a law, with that said - it is hard to enforce. I don't like the random droppings or piles either however, I am a huge dog lover. I agree with LovingSAHMommy
    805Therapy.com

Answer by 805Therapy.com at 3:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No, that's just not even right. But, I'm all for stiff fines. Not so much the first time, but second, third, just hike them right up. That would help the city, right?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'd be for fining them, or banning them from parks.
    MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 6:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010