why is so hard to get help when u have children with disabilitys

by me asking that i mean when i ask the dr's certain things about terry heath they tell me what they think when i really need for sure answers and when it come to housing when u have a child with special need and u think that they would help but they don't can some of the moms help me out

boogalou

Asked by boogalou at 3:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Health

• The doctor isn't going to give you all your answers. You have to seek them out for yourself. You need to find mom's that have been through this. Teachers who specialize in the area. Research for yourself your childs disability. Good luck.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• iasked ped dr about her banging her head, he said "kids are quirky" i questioned more, he said "oh, she is so beautiful"
    one year later PhD dr seen five times, she has autism
    regualr drs. have about one minute and ten sec to see patient
    and now that she does have Phd say autism, her regualr doc-when i called and told him she has reaction to red dye #40, he said it was a theary
    doctors do not have the time and most do no have the answers-at least when it comes to autism-most knew nil
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm a little confused about the Dr. comment. Whose not helping you? What kind of special needs does your child need? Something in school? If you are not getting what you need out of the Drs., get another opinion. If you aren't getting what you need out of the school, work your way up the chain of command.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would then ask the doctor 'exactly why are you dodging my question? If you don't know, just say so. Don't be an ass.' And I'd walk out. We are military. I wanted to take my son to John's Hopkins. I went in for a referral, and the prick doc said that the damage was done, the Army wouldn't waist the money to send him to that hospital. Well, they did. We went. Didn't get any answers though. We have here, at UNC though. After 4 peds neurologists and 13 years. You have to know what questions to ask. But how can you know? You can't. Not really. You need to find a support group, which I feel to guilty to do. But find one. That would benefit you the most. For instance, a wife in my hubby's unit in Texas told me of a program that paid for diapers and wipes. We got more diapers and wipes then we could ever use, no charge to us, from the state. You need to find your resources, best way is through research and support groups.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010