Do you spank your kids?

I was just wondering how many parents use this method. I just can't do it. it seems so mean. My husband does and it makes me so mad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did. When a kids knows they will get a spanking if they do something wrong . Most of the time they think twice before do wrong things. JMO.

Answer by louise2 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Not regularly, but I have before. Usually for something extreme...like running into the street. They are 5 and 7 now and I haven't spanked in a long time.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 3:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No..that may b why my son cuts up sooo much :)
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 3:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I try not to. I always feel terrible for spanking, because kids are defenseless. Unfortunately, even as the LAST resort, it sometimes is the only thing that stops their behavior. But then, it makes me think, how can we teach kids that hitting others is bad, when we do it to punish bad behavior?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We started off not doing it, then we tried it but didn't like it so now not really. Hows that for consistency? I'll swat him on the butt if he's in my way or to get his attention if he's not listening or something but it doesn't inflict any pain at all.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• & i bet your child has more respect for the father then you!!
    proverbs 13:24 says, whoever refuses to spank his son hates him. But whoever loves his son disciplines him from early on.

I spank my son after i tell him more then a couple of time somthing, I'll spank his butty.
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes, I do spank my daughter. Of course, it's never hard enough to hurt her. Most of the time she just gets spanked on the hand. Spanking is always our last resort. We try time-outs and verbal warnings. We also take things away from her. If none of those work and she still keeps doing whatever bad behavior she's doing, then that's when she gets the spanking. And so far, after getting a spanking for something, she never does it again.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It won't let me click the thumbs down on one of these...my thinking is is you can't keep your child in line without spanking you shouldn't have any.

My kids listen to me and i don't spank them
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 3:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I try not to, but sometimes a swat on the butt is the only way to get his attention.
    RSndle

Answer by RSndle at 3:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No! My father used to spank me and my siblings when we were growing up. I don't see it as an effective means of discipline. DH and I take privledges away from our son. It has worked very well for us!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010