preschool question ?

My son will be 3 in feb 2010. Would i be able to start him up AS soon as his 3??
Q2- is it free?? IF not how much you pay??
Q3- My son IS potty trained, But doesnt talk much would that be a problem?
(he does listen, you could tell him anything & he'll understand, Just doesnt say full sentences)

thanks

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter goes to a preschool but only goes twice a week. They start them at three and it is $60 a month, which is a great deal, most are much more. I don't think that there are many requirements for your children to go into school and I think that having him in school with other children will help him with his talking.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• You can start him in daycare at that age and they would charge their weekly rates (which you can get assistance with from Child & Family Services) right now but he cannot start school until the next school year begins. They don't let them start unless they turn a certain age by a certain date in the year.

Most Pre-K's are free, you'll have to call and ask. Some private Pre-K programs do charge.
    Him not talking is not and will not be a problem. After he gets used to his classmates he will most liekyl open up a ton. :) My daughter did! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Our town has a preschool right in the elementary school. It does cost money to go there, but if your child has special needs, it's free. Our preschool has admitted students with special needs during the school year, after they turn three. I haven't heard of a preschool that doesn't cost anything. For most preschools, that I know of, your child has to be turning three by December of that year. There are daycares that offer preschool. You can just have your child attend the preschool, at preschool cost, without having to pay for daycare. The preschool that I was going to put my son in, if he didn't get into the program at our school, it was about $130/month.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Our town has private preschools only, with exception of free pre-k. That being said...if you go private you can't start in Feb. You would have to wait till Sept to start him. But you need to register around Feb. My son goes to private preschool and it is the pre-k program. We pay 155/month for that. They register in Feb, start in Aug. We are off days and summers the local school is off. I personally refuse to send my son the public pre-k b/c it is terrible. Good luck.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• most daycares around me start at 2.5 and it's 1000 for a year

I think it depends on your area because around me there is no FREE pre-k classes
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You can start him in any preschool when he's 3, but you'll probably have to pay for it. If he has some sort of diagnosed learning problem, the school district may have a free program for you. Likely, you should just wait until he's older. 3 is really young for schooling. It's really just daycare at that point.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:45 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I pay $102/month for 3 days a week-PT preschool. My DD is in the 4 year old room. The 3 year old room runs 2 days a week for $15 less/month. It is through the park district. Other pre schools- coops and religious based run from $150 - $175 a month.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:21 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• If he truly isn't talking much and isn't saying full sentences, I'd have evaluated by your school district's Child Study team. If he qualified for help with speech (and I suspect he will), preschool will be free. My son is in our town's program and it's wonderful. Otherwise, programs and costs vary dramatically. 3 is definitely old enough for most preschools (some will start as early at 2 or 2 1/2).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 18, 2010