I've read that organic produce has not been proven to be any safer than regular produce...

What do you think about the whole organic craze?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't buy organic unless it's cheaper than the regular produce. It all tastes the same to me.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I believe it. My Son LOVES bananas and he refuses to eat organic ones. Sometime kids know what is good & bad to eat better than adults.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• there really is no difference. one keeps bugs away with pesticides and the other doesn't and once the non organics are washed off they're exactly the same...however organic meat and milk is better cause the animals aren't given any growth hormones
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I buy according to price, and it's true, there's no guarantee that organic is better, even though in theory it is.
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 3:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I dont know if that is true the only difference in organic is that they do not fill them with growth hormones and they do taste better to me at least the vegetables and what not
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• When it comes to food, believe it or not I'm less inclined to buy in to the organic craze. I understand that food grown with chemicals absorbs the chemicals and that when sprayed it is covered with them. That said, I simply feel like there are other things which should be focused on and for the majority of us trying to feed a family on a budget, quantity trumps quality. I would rather be able to have my children eat apples for a week than for a day, because even if they are getting some extra chemicals IN their food, they are actually getting more nutrition as well.

On the other hand, when it comes to things such as diaper ointment or makeup, I have switched almost completely over to organic because generally it's not any more expensive and you are able to get the same amounts in better quality...

If they are the same or similar price I go organic, but I can't deny my family simply because of price.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• http://www.thedietchannel.com/Organic-Food-Is-Organic-Food-Better-Than-Non-Organic.htm
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am more inclined to buy the food that is less expensive and not labeled organic. It is regulated by the FDA and is safe. As far as looking up sites on the internet describing the safety of organic food, if you look hard enough you can find any site that will tell you want you want to hear or scare the crap out of you.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The study that came out was not about food safety. It was about nutrition content. Cucumbers Grown with chemicals vs cucumbers grown organically show not difference in vitamin content.

We know that pesticides are dangerous. And not all can be washed off. With meats, we know the injectible hormones and antibiotics have side effects. Genetically modified veggies have antibiotic resistance. We know these things have safety risks. They have not been evaluated on a large scale for safety.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I laugh at the term organic since it means a substance of animal or vegetable origin. All produce is organic, so is all meat, what's in question is whether or not the product being sold is raised/fertilized etc naturally..
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 3:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2010