I don't get it...

Dh and I are moving away from his mom in about 2 weeks. So we told her before we moved she could have 9mo old dd one night every weekend if she wanted to. She said of course she did, and has come the last two friday nights to get her. She wanted her again this Friday (tonight) and we agreed. We are having a yard sale in the am, so it was going to work out really good. We could just get up do the yard sale and set everything up without worrying about dd. Now mil is saying she doesn't want her because there is a big sale that she HAS to go to. I was like ok... thanks for telling us about 2 hours before you are supposed to get her. But I know she's going to whine about how she didn't get to spend enough time with dd before we moved, even though she canceled our plans. I'm just not sure what to say to her. I know she doesn't have to take her, but she said she wanted her, we made plans, and now she's flaking. Its just annoyin

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Can she take her tomorrow night instead?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You could ask if she would like to take her another day? I would just let it go.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Boundary issues?
    805Therapy.com

Answer by 805Therapy.com at 3:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would personally give almost anything to have my mother take my son for 1 night so me and DH could go out! My son is living with autism, and she's afraid he'll go into a meltdown. He most likely wouldn't , but there's no convincing her. She's missing out on a GREAT young man!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My MIL did this ALL the time before we moved and it really caused problems year before last she did it on our anaversary night so we just started hiring an actual sitter when we made plans and she whined and complained but we told her we needed reliable care on date night and she was welcome to come hang out with the sitter...after about three times of that she came to us and apologized all over herself for being flakey and we haven't had the issue since of course we moved a couple months ago so the whole situation is different now
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No opionion
    no1coachmom

Answer by no1coachmom at 4:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010