Should you get to collect unemployment while doing a reality show?

One of the candidates on The Apprentice last night was shown filing his u/e report via cellphone from the task. He indicated he was not employed (bs - all reality contestants receive a stipend for each week they're on the show, unless Trump suspended that just for this batch to keep from screwing up their benefits). He also had no way to look for a job while he's on the show, which means he's not turning in his 3 apps/resumes a week while he's there. (btw, he's getting benefits from state of MI, so if they hadn't shown it on national tv, they're probably so swamped they never would have noticed)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Unless they are not being paid by the show (which we know they are) they should be considered employed... Temporary employment is not lack of employment.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• well, as a resident of Michigan I would report him for fraud
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My husband goes on unemployment every winter along with all the other construction workers in the state. He does not have to look for three jobs a week.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am not sure having temporary income is the same thing as being employed.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree, doesn't seem legit to me...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i never heard trump pays them but if he is he cannot receive unemployment and it will be caught
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I'm sure he will end up getting caught and paying it all back. I'm sure Trump goes by the book and the get a check every week with taxes taken out. It will catch up with him soon enough. Especially now that he did it on TV, how stupid can he be???
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• In michigan you don't have to show 3 apps a week, you just have to call in each week and let them know you're still unemployed.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If he is receiving pay for a job done, then he shouldn't be getting unemployment!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I was thinking this last night ..but they are trying to get a job and they get to meet with and interview for different jobs along the way....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010