MIL a complusive shopper...

Ok I've got to work on my MIL. She has a SERIOUS shopping problem, and it's really getting out of hand. My NINE month old dd already has like 50 pairs of shoes, a full kitchen set, powerwheels, swing set... She just goes out and buys and buys and buys... We are moving out of state at the end of the month, and she's STILL buying. She got a stroller and a diaper bag for HER to use. DD has more toys at her house then she does at home. and it's not like she's there a lot, she's only there for abou t5 hours on Saturdays while I work. MIL can't afford to do this stuff, she just does. She just buys and buys and buys... We went to big lots and she spent 100$ on scrap booking stuff. I try to tell her no, but she doesn't listen. She needs some serious help. her whole house if full of random crap that she buys. I don't know what to do for her though.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• do you have a FIL? He or your dh because it is HIS mother need to put a stop to it. Take away her credit cards, her checkbook, whatever needs to be done to stop her from going crazy and buying stuff she can't afford! what'll happen if she dies and leaves your dh with thousands of $$ of debt from her shopping addiction? surely if you see it this badly then your dh/FIL/rest of the family sees it too?
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Send her over this way!!! I would love someone to help out with things for my Son! I don't think she expects anything in return except seeing a smile on her Grandchilds face! Count your blessings!!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• sorry to say but its not really your place to tell her what to spend her money on, wouldnt you get irritated if she told you what to do and what no to do with your money? I know I would. That is between her and her SO.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• OP here: she doesn't have an SO... she has a worthless drunk, that she talks to about once a month. that's it. She lives alone. My dh knows she has a prob. he just doesn't want to talk to her about it. I mean it's not just going out shopping a little bit. She has ROOMS full of bags of stuff she bought. She'll go out the day after Halloween and spend 200$ on clearance decorations and put them in a room somewhere never to see them again... then the next year she will buy the same stuff. There's says where you literally cannot walk through her house because of all the stuff she has bought.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Suggest Compulsive Shoppers Anonymous to her. She needs to learn to curb her spending. What's she going to do when the money runs out and she has nothing for her retirement?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thatgirl... I don't know what she is going to do. she just took out a 10,000 loan on her 401k. And she's just spending it... not paying off bills. Just blowing it all. I'll look into the complusive shoppers thing though!
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Stage an intervention maybe? I think you'd have to find other people who are just as worried as you though.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I been watching the show hoarders. and came to realize there is usually a big issue (death in the family, divorce ). have your friend seek some help.
    Blue1212

Answer by Blue1212 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010