What should I do?

I started a second job to try and help out more around the house as far as bills go (as if I don't do every thing else already) and told the new manager I don't want to get stuck working 7 days a week. She said she understood and wouldn't do that to me. Well she knows I already work Mon, Wed and Fri at my first job from 8am-5pm. And sometimes when I am scheduled in the afternoon on Tues and Thurs I end up working the morning shift at job #1 (8-2) & afternoon shift at job #2 (3:30-7:30).
Well now I have worked Mon to Fri straight, both jobs on Tues and Thurs, and I am scheduled (between both) through EVERY DAY next week. By the end of the week I will be at 12 days straight plus whatever they schedule me next week.

I could cry!

What should I do?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 4:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• A friendly reminder to the boss at job #2 may be necessary. You cant keep that up or you will burn yourself out in a hurry! We cant put a price on our sanity ya know! I commend you for taking on another job, but you cant work yourself to death! Are there any co-workers at job #2 that are looking to pick up extra hours? Maybe they can take come of your shifts. The boss will be impressed if you find your own coverage or help find a solution. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I guess it would depend on how badly you need the job, unfortunately if you can't meet the hours/schedule they need they will probably replace you
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would just tell the manager at the second job that when you applied, you made her aware of the situation and you can only work these days and these hours.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I am so sorry. You must be exhausted. When my sons were both in college I worked several jobs, and even though I physically could do it, it took its toll on me and I burned out. I am not saying that you are the same way, but please be careful about your health. I'd tell the second job that you need fewer hours. If they replace you, then this isn't the job for you anyway. Try to find something else that fits your schedule better. Maybe babysitting.

Answer by Bmat at 4:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I guess what I am really asking is should I work through this week and see if they do it again next week, THEN say something... or should I work through this week and subtly say something about how I've been scheduled to work EVERY day of the week to the manager at job #2 OR should I work through the week and if they do this again then say my schedule will have to be changed?
    I'm going to get burnt out quick if I work that much. PLUS I already feel like a bad mom for not being home with my babies like I'm used to.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You made the choise to work 2 jobs. You can always tell job #2 to cut back your hours.

Answer by louise2 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010