My black lab mixed breed

she is so picky , she takes her food and throws it on the ground. we have tried different foods. and my father in law made us give her this one food now her skin is dry her fur feels awful. and now she doesn't want to eat it and basically looks like she tosses it. anyone know what i can do. i am afraid she will start losing weight soon if i don't do something.

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Pets

• I have a lab mix, and my brother has a lab mix different mixes different dogs all together but if we sit down to talk about our dogs food issues you'd think all three of us (you included) has the same dog.

We found that our dogs tend to like smaller kibble.. with some wet food and warm water mixed in. We both feed our dogs twice a day - and usually my indigo eats at least one of those days.

I really would get a really high quality dog food, we feed Canidae but I reccomend that for everydog. but even moreso when they dont eat as much - they should get good stuff when they do.
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 4:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Add raw egg to her food and mix. I would suggest getting Iams or something similar. It is not uncommon for them to play with food. Give her some time. When she is hungry enough she will eat. Give her a hug for me :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I also had a black lab. His name was Jasper and I loved him so much. Have you tried mixing in a little cod liver oil? Jasper used to have a dry coat too but I'd toss 2 tablespoons of Cod Liver Oil into his food, stir it around, and it helped with the taste of his food and the dry skin and coat.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 4:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would take her to the vet. It might be an allergy to something in the food, my cat was allergic to fish, so had to choices of food. She could be sick and not want to eat or getting into something else that is stealing her appetite. I have never none a dog to refuse to eat.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The best thing you can do is stop switching foods that is actually encouraging her to be picky. I have a picky eater myself but what I have always done is picked up the food after 10 minutes and if she does not eat she has to wait until the next meal. She learned pretty quickly that she had better eat. What types of foods have you tried?
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would make sure the dog is not suffering any dental problems or general health problems that would make her ignore her food. If she is in good health and just being picky, constantly changing foods is not going to work. Pick a good quality food that has a strong smell. If the dog cannot smell the food, she will not eat it. Sometimes using a canned food mixed into the dry food will encourage eating. If she is free-fed you can try feeding her 2-3 times a day and give her 10-20 minutes at each meal time to eat until she starts eating her normal recommended amount consistently. Just make sure to divide the recommended daily serving into meals or dog can quickly become overweight.

ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just stick with one food and keep trying to get her to eat
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• aww here's a bump
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:14 AM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Found the food she likes finally. i forgot about the Rachael Ray food. she seems to love it. I don't understand it the pedigree is the same flavor. But at least she is eating

sherryb1273

Comment by sherryb1273 (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Sep. 20, 2010