Teens and cell phones..

Does your teen have a cell phone?

Why or why not?

Do you monitor their usage and what they do with their cell phones?

sstepph

Asked by sstepph at 4:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, both of my girls had their own cellphones as teens. They both paid for them.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Both my boys have cell phones, they are 12 and 16. The initial reason we got them a cell phone to share was because they have a friend with diabetes and I wanted the boys to have a way to call if something ever happened. As they got older we got them both cell phones because they have seperate friends and I wanted a way to stay in touch when they weren't home.

We have unlimited texting and 1500 family minutes (that we never go over). I do monitor the phone bill to make sure they are adding apps or services that cost money. Periodically I check text messages and picture mails just to make sure there is nothing inappropriate.

My kids are pretty responsbile so we've never had any big issues, except for a few phones that got ruined by spilled gatorade in a back back or once one of them got thrown in the pool with his phone is his pocket.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son (15) does and my daughter (13 does not). My in-laws bought my son the phone and then put him on their plan and restricted my online access to the phone. Happy? No! I still check his phone from time to time though and he knows...my house, my rules; no matter who bought it.
    MommyNeeNee

Answer by MommyNeeNee at 6:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My sons are 15 and 19, my daughter is 18. My oldest two have cell phones. While they are on my plan for savings, they pay for their own portion of the bill. It helps us to stay in contact. My younger son will be added to the plan when he is 16 and has a job.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 7:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My sons are 18, 20, 22 and 24. The older 2 didn't get their 1st cell phones until they were over 18 (I think that they were both 19) and could pay for their own because when they were 16-17 cell phone plans cost a fortune. My younger 2 have had a cell phone for the past 4 years, they needed them with all of the sports and various activities they do and with going out with friends and needing a way to call us. They started paying for their own cell phones (we divide the cell phone bill 4 ways and they each pay 1/4 of the bill and hubby and I pay 1/2) the summer before their 11th grade year, when they started working. I never checked their phones and since they have always had unlimted texting I never worried about them texting too much.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:07 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes they both have phones.

I found that as a high schooler in sports it was a necessity. All info from the coach was via text. Besides that I needed her to call me to tell me when she was home from away games... there was no set time.

They could give up a birthday party for a phone or pay for the phone themselves.  I pay the bill at this point in time because they are not working (13 & 15).  We will revisit this issue when they get jobs.

They are required to dock them during meals, family time, and at 9pm.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 11:55 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• My fifteen year old has a cell phone. I wanted to be able to know where he was at and he doesn't have an excuse that he was near a phone.
    crazymomof2374

Answer by crazymomof2374 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes they do. Mostly so I can get a hold of them when I need to.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:02 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Yes, he has for over 2 years. Unlimited texts and mobile to mobile. We have no landline, so he needs a cell phone for when he is home alone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• When she turns 16 yes she will get one because she will have a car so we need to communicate. I might check every blue moon just to see what's on it or who she talkin to the most but I would just ask first.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2010