Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A plastic lid got dropped into my hot oven. Are the fumes of the burning plastic toxic?

 
Cadreysmom

Asked by Cadreysmom at 5:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Yes, but not like kill you dead toxic, just make you sick toxic. I still wouldnt take a chance breathing them though. Shut the oven off let it cool down and scrape/chip the melted plastic off.
    vbruno

    Answer by vbruno at 5:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

  • Well, I don't really have an answer for this, but here is what happened to me. I routinely leave food in the oven on warm for hubby to eat when he comes home from work late. Well, I had left a pampered chef microwave steamer pot in there (fine on warm), but he didn't see it and the next day I cranked the oven up to 375* to make dinner and a few mins later there was this horrible smell and smoke pouring out of my oven. The thing was melted beyond recognition. This was probably a year to a year & a half ago and we are all alive and well -- as far as I know!
    jjamom

    Answer by jjamom at 6:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

  • yes they are toxic and can make you sick
    Ambreelulu

    Answer by Ambreelulu at 6:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

  • yes they are toxic and yes they can make u very sick it has paint and tons of other stuff in it the heat makes it absorb in to your air from it and ur food. Just like u put a platic cup in the microwave ur getting very bad stuff from it
    Patience1

    Answer by Patience1 at 6:42 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN