Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

IEP vs 504

For the life of me I cannot seem to wrap my brain around the difference between an IEP and an 504. All I gather is that for one if the child cannot learn from the existing ciriculium , then they need a modified one. I think that's a IEP. Something anout one is more legal and the other is simply suggestions. Help!! Can someone break these two down into simple descriptions please. Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by my2turkeys at 4:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 2 (9 Credits)
Answers (6)
  •  Here's a good website, IEP VS 504.  From my understanding 504 are good if your child needs a specific accommodation for a physical disability.  However IEP are used more often because the fit better for kids and a school setting because it includes testing and evaluations.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • An IEP is an Individualized Education Plan, and is used for kids with severe learning disabilities, like developmentally delayed, downs syndrome, autism, etc. Those kids are usually in a special ed class or need an aid if their school does inclusion. A 504 is more for slower learning children that addresses their areas of need as well, but is not as severe or as detailed as the IEP children I mentioned. Hope that helps

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • RyansMom001 is pretty much correct.

    Answer by layh41407 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • A 504 has nothing to do with learning disabilities. It is for physical accommodation to help within the learning environment. The IEP is in place for learning difficulty, and addresses educational goals, modifications to lesson plans, assignments, assessments, and whether or not the child requires SPED services.  Children who have a 504 could be those with any physical handicap. Children who simply need to sit in front of the class due to a vision or hearing problem may have a 504 specifically stating that as well.


    Answer by KairisMama at 8:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • IEP is for learning problems. 504 is for medical problems.

    Answer by Pnukey at 10:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

  • I'll just add this link as another way of explaining it. 


    Answer by musicmom08 at 11:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.