Pumping at work any tips?

My son is almost one but i plan on bfing for another year. I just got a job after 2 yrs of being unemployed and I start monday. I havent told her that I bf or need to pump. How do I adress this issue? I can do it on my break time, but how do I adress needing the space to pump and a spcae to store it? Would like tips on pumping in the workplace. thanks

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Just go in the 1st day and tell them, don't just wait for break, I dried up so fast when I went back to work. I suggest telling her you need a 10 to pump every 2 hours, pump each side for 5 minutes and get back to work. Tell her you need to get your stock built up at home. Make sure you pump on lunch break for longer too.
    As a manager I think you should always offer to come in early or stay late, take any shifts that need covered so they see you are very serious and a team player.
    I bought the Medela hand pump for work, it was so easy to use and I got so much more milk in a shorter period of time than I did with my electric one at home so I stopped using the electric. Plus it is not noisy so you still feel like you have privacy.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I believe it is law that they need to find a private place for you to do this. As far as storage, I would assume there is a refrigerator in the kitchen? use that, but definitely keep the bottles or pouches inside something, it oogs some people out to see it, as silly as that is. I pumped at work with both babies, either in an empty office or in the filing room. I had a little mini cooler that came with the pump to put the bottles in inside the fridge. I washed the parts in the kitchen. I pumped twice a day for months. Just talk to your boss, don't make it a big deal, say you'll do it on break and it will only be 15 minutes at a time...Is your boss a man or woman? With kids? That always helps...offer to make up any time if needed during lunch or whatever. I don't think you will dry up as the above poster says cause you've been doing it so long, its not like in the beginning when they nurse every 2 hours...cont.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think pumping both sides (at the same time, I assume you have a good electric pump?) twice a day is plenty for a 1 year old. Oh, and remember to bring a book or a magazine, it gets boring just sitting there staring at a wall while pumping, lol. Good luck!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thanks ladies oh and my boss is a woman with 2 kids the job is at a daycare
    JrsMommy07

Comment by JrsMommy07 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Have a talk with your boss and hopefully she'll understand. I worked at a preschool and had a co-worker who pumped during naptime.
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:40 AM on Sep. 19, 2010