My dau is only 8 & is fascinated w/ Harleys- Help!

OK - no offense to the biker mamas out there- but I personally would have a fit (& so would Hubby) if our dau ever came home w/ some long-haired, tattoo-covered biker dude. NO motorcycles what-so-ever! God help me, she'll outgrow this!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dad is a Harley mechanic and retired from the USMC. Still wears his high & tight. he says Harley is becoming the "gentleman's motorcycle" because they're becoming too expensive for most people to buy and maintain.

But at 8, it's most likely a phase while she admires all the chrome and paint.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Lol...Just because a guy has tattoo's and a motorcycle doesnt mean he is a bad man. My husband has both and he is a great person.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 4:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• She's 8. I'm sure she'll change as she grows older. Plus, not all guys that drive Harley's have long hair and tattoos, lol. I think that's more of a stereotype.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• At least you and your DH don't plan to have those things around her in her daily life. She'll probably outgrow the fascination. My DH rides, no long hair but he does have tattoos, and I honestly hate that motorcycle. He has almost been hit numerous times and he's had it less than a year. No one watches for them at all. Not to mention it's too expenseive to fix and insure. I feel for you. I hope to God my daughter does not develop an interest in that kind of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Well she's only 8, so I wouldn't put too much effort in worrying about it right now. As for who she dates when she's older, as long as he's a good man and treats her right, that's the important thing. Long hair and tats mean nothing (though they don't appeal to me either).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• OK- Before someone gets mad- let me say I made a generalized stereotypical statement here- I know people who have tats and who ride motorcycles, I just dont want that for my baby girl! No tats, no piercings, and no motorcycles!
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just because he has long hair, tattoos and a Harley does not mean he is bad.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• OK- Before someone gets mad- let me say I made a generalized stereotypical statement here- I know people who have tats and who ride motorcycles, I just dont want that for my baby girl! No tats, no piercings, and no motorcycles! "

Well, good luck with that. You won't always be able to choose who your daughter is attracted to or falls in love with. I'd try accepting that now. I'm not trying to be mean at all, just honest.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• She just thinks they're cool! (they are!) ;)
    It's a fun thing that she likes right now. No biggie.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 5:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Shes 8- I wanted to work at McDonalds when I was 8... kids outgrow stuff... let her be interested... if you try too hard to push her away from it she will only want it more.
    MomsOfTwinGirls

Answer by MomsOfTwinGirls at 5:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010