What would you do or how would you handle this situation?

My daughters best friend for 3 years is moving from Kentucky to Wisconsin. I picked her up from school and she was really upset and she told me that her friend and her parents are leaving Sunday for Wisconsin to find a house. I have never had to deal with anything like this and it is ripping my heart out. How do I comfort her?

mommaspride

Asked by mommaspride at 4:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• Thats so sad :( We were a military family when my oldest daughter was younger she had a best friend who moved away and she was sad too. Tell her that they can write each other and you can buy her a calling card to call once in awhile. If they are older they can do the facebook or myspace. My daughter still talks to her best friend from when she was little.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Introduce her to stainionary and snail mail! lol They can have fun keeping in contact by decorating paper and envelopes, plus it's always fun to get mail.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Skype? Get your daughter a camera, and maybe one she can give to her friend. You can find good ones in the $20 range.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 4:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• We live in such a technological age that they will be able to stay in touch by text, computer, etc. I know it's not the same, and yes it hurts when someone you are close to moves away, but the friendship doesnt have to end, It just changes. And maybe they can still see each other from time to time if they come back to your city to visit family. Or maybe you could go see her over the summer. Buy her some stationery and they can be pen pals too! Good luck!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Hugs! I know how your daughter feels, when I was 14 my best friend's family moved back home to Germany and she is still living there. It was a very sad time for both of us (that was 26 yrs ago and we are still best friends and as close as we ever were). We both are on facebook- and sometimes im back and forth oh there, we email each other a lot and we call each other once in a while. I would encourage the girls to keep in contact and maybe you can plan a trip to visit the friend, or possibly ask for the friend to come and visit you for a while on summer vacation.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I moved from one state to another and both my girls lost best friends, luckily they had each other . They were able to keep in touch for a while, but gradually as they moved on with new friends, they on both sides just did that, moved on. Now with Facebook my oldest DD has reconnected with many school friends. My youngest DD died but she may have done the same were she alive. Kids are able to bounce back a lot better and faster than you think, she'll make new friends and end up just fine, just have a little patience, and a few extra hugs for her just might help.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Good ideas here. I'm sorry this is the situation. Just having you support her will mean SO much. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Have a girls day. Plan a fun day for the girls and make it about there friendship. Get the other mom invoked and take a TON of photos.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:22 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Let her know they can still be friends. There are a whole bunch of way to stay in contact these days.
    nicole_Evans

Answer by nicole_Evans at 12:04 PM on Sep. 18, 2010