Do you think your child has too much homework?

My son is 8 and in 3rd grade. Monday-Thursday he has a worksheet, spelling words, reading for 20 minutes, and multiplication cards for 10 minutes, plus text book reading if they are having a quiz the next day.

I'm just wondering how much homework your child has and if you have ever thought it was too much?

zava_t

Asked by zava_t at 4:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That sounds like a normal HW load. It is so important for kids to read at HOME with their parents EVERY NIGHT. I never assigned worksheets much, but I did assign reading and practice of spelling and math facts for homework. To reinforce those skills only HELPS. It also gets parents involved when they reinforce those reading, spelling, and math skills WITH their children.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My first grader has a worksheet every night and 15 mins of reading. I don't think ti is too much. I should also be thre to help her with her education too.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• sorry suppose to be there not thre
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Sometimes I think they give to much homework.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Sounds about right for 3rd grade.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 7:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It doesnt sound like your child has too much homework. When my son was in 2nd they gave hw in each subject. It took him 2 hours a night to finish. Its hard when once you finish work, homework, dinner, activites....
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 8:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• MY SON IS IN 4TH AND I THINK HIS TEACHER IS GREAT BUT LAST YEAR OMG HE GOT SO MUCH IT WAS KILLING ME...BUT HOMEWORK IS GOOD BUT NOT TO OVER DO IT...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• So far I dont think my son has ever had a teacher that assigns too much work. He is in fifth grade now. He does struggle wiht math so that can take longer to complete, but other things he gets through pretty quickly.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think ANY amount of homework on school nights is to much homework. They are already in school for 8 hours a day, and then we expect them to sleep for at least 8-10 hours, be involved in sports or music, have family time, do chores and actually eat... And then we expect them to find time for hours of homework too? Ridiculous! Weekend work or over vacation work is one thing, because it will keep their brain working through a break and help them retain what they learned over the last week, but it doesn't overwhelm them... Homework on school nights simply overwhelms them and forces them to limit their focus from other activities or their family time - which is just as important.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010