General Welfare Question

If a family is on welfare and while on welfare they have another child do you think they should get an increase in benefits because a new child was added to the family? Why or why not?

Please dont bash..I just want opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Doesnt matter what I think. If a family is on welfare and ANOTHER PERSON is added 2 the household the benefits will increase as long as other factors have not changed (income, child support, amount of rent, etc.) it is how it works. Right or wrong.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 5:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• This is such a tricky situation as you don't want a child to suffer for their parents mistakes. However, I do find it wrong to have children when you can't afford them.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think it should increase since you are adding another person to feed.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• First of all, I know here in Ca, it wont get increased if you've been on cash aid for 11 months straight. food stamps..would increase, cash aid no.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 6:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It should increase... More people equal more expenses equal less income per person...

I mean, if you make $1000 a month and have 5 people you get more benefits than a family of 4 with the same income... So why shouldn't your benefits go up when you go from being a family of 4 to a family of 5?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It should  increase because it's not the babies fault.  It's hard because people often feel they need to keep having kids to continue the benefits because that is all they have to live on, but it puts more kids in the government system that are still living below the poverty line. There isn't a good fix because children need to be taken care of.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I do not think it should increase. I do not reward bad behavior.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• so you all think it is bad behavior to have kids wow. Have you ever thought that maybe the person did not want another baby at the time. i could not get birth control and yes i was on welfare and  asked to be fixed. the dr said no i was to young which a few months after my baby turned 1 i had another child. it is not always people trying to have them. if you are trying to have them to increase benefits then i do NOT agree with doing that it is unfair.

sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i agree with the above i had baby then when he turned one i got pregnant the birth control failed i now have two but after my 2nd son was born i did get my tubes tied cause i know i cant afford any more just because some thing out of my control doesnt mean i shouldnt get temp assistance while i get back on my feet money that i already put in the system and still continue to put in the system while i work.
    mad_ct_mom

Answer by mad_ct_mom at 9:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• The way the economy is now, I don't feel that the child should have to suffer because of the parent's. Now if the parent's are abusing the system and knowing that this is a way for more income, then yeah it's wrong.
    msbrewton

Answer by msbrewton at 10:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010