YOU'RE BUYING HER A BLACK DOLL?!?!?!

This is what my MIL said today when we went to the store with her and I let my 3 year old pick out a barbie doll. She thinks I should have given my daughter a little white doll with blond hair blue eyes, just like her. I told her no. I want my daughter to be exposed to all cultural dolls. If she wants a black/Hispanic/Asian doll, I don't care. I'm not going to only give her "white" girl toys. My daughter picked out princess Tia from Princess and the Frog, her favorite show. Why are some older folks so narrow minded?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I like your attitude! Keep it up - we need more open-minded people like you in the world!
    dinaca81

Answer by dinaca81 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would just let her pick out whatever doll she wants to pick out. Good for your daughter! Older people were raised in a different world with different ways of thinking..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• well, laws didn't protect against segregation until the 60s, and even then, there were MANY people who fought against integration. she could have very well been taught that.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 5:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• its probably not really her fault, im not saying its right.. but some older people were raised that way since it was born and they dont know how to think differently.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• That's sad that she thinks like that.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It's because that's how they grew up... It's the idea that white is right and for older generations it's simply an ingrained belief, even if they aren't outwardly racist... I'm like you, I don't really care what color their friends or toys are as long as they are happy.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• WOW. I hate that. A relative had a similar reaction to the posters in my DD's room - I let my 3yo pick what she wanted, and it happened to be posters of Tiana from Princess And The Frog, and Ken Griffey, Jr., because she loves baseball. It makes no difference to me, no difference to my DD, so I was appalled that someone made a comment at all!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• wow, cnt believe her, thank God ur not like her!
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 5:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think that is great! I give you and your daughter two thumbs up! I like to collect african american rag dolls (and I am caucasian).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daddy was that way, I don't know why, but I would let my girls choose what they wanted. What's the big deal over the color of the doll? You could ask your mil if she shouldn't play with toys that are any color but the same color as her?
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 5:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010