How can you tell if a child with asthma needs to go to the hospital?

I've been trying to talk to my three year olds dr to straighten out exactly when I should take her, but it's hard for me to say that she needs to go unless she does something drastic. She is being treated for asthma, but her only symptom or sign is a cough. She's had it since she was less than a year old but we never did anything about it and kept talking to her dr about it, trying to describe it to him as it generally only happened at night and usually doesn't wake her, but sounds really horrible. So to me, if she's doing her cough between getting a breathing treatment I don't pay too much attention to it.
I am just curious as to what other moms who have kids with asthma or those who know anything about it have to say on the subject.

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 5:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• WHen she is having a difficult time breathing. When she is wheezing, turning blue. When you see her stomach and chest suck in when she is trying to breath. You will know when she needs to go in.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I know it sounds stupid, but you will really just know. There will be labored breathing, wheezing, and a lot of fear in your child's eyes. My daughter had an asthma attack last year that was so bad, her pediatrician wanted to medevac her to the children's hospital in Milwaukee so she can be put on a ventilator and let her lungs rest because her sats were not improving. Go with your gut.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• When she's having a very difficult time breathing is when you should take her.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I agree with the answer above. I have asthma and have had it since i was 2. Sometimes i can get it back under control at home but if she is really have a hard time, take her to the hospital. its better to be safe than sorry!
    SBerger86

Answer by SBerger86 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• When she is having a very hard time breathing.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• When four puffs of a rescue inhaler doesn't calm the attack.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:10 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• When your LO is having an asthma attack. You can tell bc she will be having a hard time breathing also, when the area below the chest bt above the stomach its in the center, you can usually feel for it, bt when she is breathing and you notice that is going in, she is having an asthma attack and should be treated.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 9:16 PM on Sep. 18, 2010