Asthma

Do you think that people who get diagnosed with asthma as kids don't really out grow it and no longer have it, but have just learned how to deal with it so well that they can't really tell they have it anymore? Or do you think it is really outgrown?

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 5:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Health

• As a person grows and matures, their lungs and airways grow and mature. They may have fewer and fewer problems as they get older, but the disease is always there. I have asthma and, though I rarely have an issue, once in a blue moon I will have a random asthma attack. It doesn't impede my daily life, I no longer take any daily medication to control it, but it is still there.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 9:14 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I had my first asthma attack at 4 years old, im now 21 and I havnt had to use an inhaler in over 15 years. I think you grow out of it, I dont have any breathing problems.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My oldest had coughed induced asthma. I was told she could out grow it. She has not had an attack in over a year. Yes you can outgrow it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 2. I am now 21. Haven't needed to use an inhaler in 10 years. And no, you don't grow out of it. You still have it, it just lies dormant because as you grow, you get more immune to a lot of the triggers of attacks and stuff. It doesn't ever GO AWAY.
    JazziesMom2010

Answer by JazziesMom2010 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I was diagnosed at the age of 2- and as I got older it went away...but then I moved to california kinda by san francisco and started being sick with it again I ended up having to go for breathing treatments a few times over the next few years and finally someone my husband worked with mentioned advair and that I should try it- I have been on that for about 5 yrs and had no problems since
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have viral induced asthma and restrictive airway disease. Basically if I get a respiratory illness (cold), I get bronchitis and a horrible, lingering (up to 6 weeks) cough. I cough so hard that I vomit. My dad also has this affliction and since he is elderly, he takes medications daily and has a pulmonologist. I only use an inhaler when I have flare-up. I never had issues until I was in my late 30's.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My brother had it when he was younger. The last attack that he had was at the age of 9, and he's 39 now.
    Natly2007

Answer by Natly2007 at 11:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010