I am babysitting this little boy should I start trying to potty train or let mom tell me when?

He will be 3 in 2 months and she hasn't even attempted to try potty training him. I don't know why, but I feel strange changing a 3 year olds diaper. I am not sure why because I use to babysit before I had kids and changed diapers now it is just I don't know. I guess because both my kids were trained before 2 I don't know. My youngest was fully trained almost trained by 15 months until she got real sick and we had to stop for a while so she was more like 21 or 22 months and my oldest however was fully trained by 19 months. So should I start the process or let her tell me when to do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would introduce him to it, but let the mom know.
    imagroomer

Answer by imagroomer at 6:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think the parents should start the process not you. You're not his parent, it's their responsibility to do it.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No that has to be the parents choose not yours.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• bring it up with them and ask.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 5:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• His parents need to do it. Kids aren't the same they all learn at different speeds. You could bring it up to her, say something casual to find out what she's planning on doing or point blank ask her if she's started and what type of help you should offer her.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 5:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• well I know in daycares they start them without asking the mom. I know as soon as soon as they go to the toddler room they start it because my sisters son is 2 in the toddler room he has been there since 18 months they started training him as soon as he went to the class......OP by the way
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• That is up to the parents.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would talk to mom and see if she's ready. If you think it's time, talk to mom.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would talk to her about it. Maybe she just needs that little push.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If you're babysitting for a significant amount of time during the day, like almost nanny status, I would say go for it. Perhaps the parents haven't had time and they've just been putting it off. Is it their first?
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 5:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010