Can't go to the wedding we RSVP'd to - what's the proper protocol?

We RSVP'd to a wedding that's in a few days, and sent the RSVP well over a month ago. Unfortunately we no longer have transportation and it's an out of town wedding, so there's no way we can go.

I'm just wondering what the best thing is to do...we are really not in contact with these people anymore, via phone, e-mail, etc. They're old coworkers we haven't spoken to in a loooong time. Do I try hard to get in contact with them and tell them we can't come? Do I drop them a terribly informal Facebook note that I don't know if they'll see? Do we just not show?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 5:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• You should try and call and if you can't get a hold of them you can always email or send them a private message on facebook and send them a letter in the mail with a gift or whatever you were going to do.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 5:50 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You absolutely have to make every effort to let them know.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would just call them now and let them know. I think just not showing up is rude.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I don't have any e-mail or phone number for them, and the only contact I had with them was through the old place of work; no one there has a phone number for them either. So I guess what I'm asking is, should I send them messages on Facebook, even though I feel like that's a terribly informal/awful way to go about things? I don't want to just not show up.
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would just find a way to make contact with them, explain your situation and apologize. It might not be too late for them to make changes if necessary.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think a private email on FB is fine. Just explain that you had no other way to contact them. Not showing up is ruder than sending a note on FB.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If FB is the only contact info you have, then send them a private message, be very apologetic and explain that you didn't have their number or you'd call. Have you looked them up in whitepages.com?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I will send them both messages on FB and then try to find out if their phone number is listed anywhere. I appreciate the help!
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010