Smoking....

I don't smoke, but I just wonder why some people armed with the knowledge that smoking is harmful to kids, especially preemies, still smoke inside closed spaces with children?

Sarasmoonflower

Asked by Sarasmoonflower at 5:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Here's the thing. We ALL make choices as to what we expose our children to. What some consider to be harmful others don't see as a big deal. Many people look at the world as " I did it and I'm fine" and for many of us that includes breathing mom & dad's smoke. Now, that said, I do smoke, however I smoke ECigs and there is no second hand smoke or chemicals in the air from them... My DH (when he smokes real cigs) goes outside... I have never been one to see it as a huge deal though, your children breath just as many chemicals when they ride in a car as they do if you are smoking in the house and it doesn't stop anyone from putting their kids in the car.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Similar arguments could be made about any number of things... Armed with the knowledge that (disposable diapers, formula, air fresheners, air conditioners, household cleaners, pet dander, laundry soap, packaged food, baby powder, zinc ointment, mineral oil, etc.) is dangerous why do people continue to use them around their kids?

It ALL comes down to what and how the parents see their actions and the side effects they may or may not bring with them... Frankly, I think the Ammonia my mother scrubbed the floors with was much more dangerous to us kids than the smoke with may or may not come up from the basement when my BIL smokes down there or that may or may not come in from outside when my DH is on the deck... Everything we do in life carries risks and some can be easier to get around than others, granted, but we simply have to make the choices that fit best with our family & life.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Cause their idiots.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 6:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Selfishness, plain and simple. If someone can't bring themselves to quit, fine, but take it outside.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I think some people are just too selfish to care how their actions affect others. :(
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It's selfish. there's no excuse for it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:09 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Smoke on your clothes and skin is Third Hand Smoke and is considered just as bad as smoking in front of anyone. They are all in complete denial thinking going outside makes a difference, when they go back in the house they are still carrying all the smoke on their clothes and body and then go hug their child or sit on the couch or even go to bed after. It all stays in the home just as if you smoked inside. Smokers like to use every excuse why they continue to smoke and don't consider the ramifications of their true actions. There is no need to smoke to survive and it costs a lot of money that will harm harm you and your children or anyone else around them.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 1:25 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I think that it is horribly selfish and also believe that it should be labeled child abuse.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Its because they are selfish, lazy, unintelligent, etc. etc. No one can make an arguement that second hand smoke is not dangerous. There is so much scientific and medical evidence to show that it is very dangerous. A friend of mine's mother died from lung cancer last year even though she never smoked a cigarette in her life. Both of her parents smoked in the house when she was growing up though. Its pretty sad that people don't care enough about their own children to keep them out of harm's way from their disgusting habit.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Smoking is an addiction. I started when I went through my divorce 5 years ago...and despite getting re-married I continued. I just recently quit, and it took a lot failed attempts. I think what helped me quite was the fact that I seemed to get sick more when I smoked, and how expensive they got. My parents smoked in cars & house with my brothers and I. I always smoked outside when I did, but it would come in with me on my clothes. UCK.
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 3:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010