is 19 months and not walking anything to worry about?

He wont even attempt to stand you put him to stand and he puts his feet out to sit he will pull his self up, but not very often he rather crawl

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would seek the advice of your pediatricain. Yes, all kids develope differently but there comes a point where developemental delays become serious. My grandson was put in OT and PT at 18 months because he was not yet walking and could barely stand. He was diagnosed with major developemental delays. It can't hurt to ask the Dr...and if they feel there may be issues earlier intervention is always better.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't think so. All babies learn differently .My cousins baby didn't start walking till she was almost 21 months.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• What does your pediatrician say?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• he hasn't been to the doctor since he was about 13 months old
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Why? I'm a firm believer in well-checks. Even if you don't vaccinate, his pediatrician can still spot any problems that might be there. Do I think 19 months and not worrying is a problem, yes I do. But I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you for sure. I was 2 before I learned to walk and that's because I had meningitis has an infant and that delayed everything for me.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• 19 months does seem a little late to still not even be attempting to stand. Children do develop at all different ages/stages...but if it were one of my children at that age and still not walking, I'd be concerned too. I would discuss it with thier pediatrician right away.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:09 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If he is doing other things and can understand what is being said to him I wouldn't worry, however it's time to have him evaluated by a professional anyway. Some kids just don't see a need to learn to walk so they need help learning that walking is a good thing. Talk to the pediatrics and tell him you want him evaluated by a specialist.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• all kids are different but the baby should see the doc at least every 3 months. The doc would be able to tell you if there are any developmental delays or anything. good luck!!!
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• He should go to a well baby at 12, 14, and 18 monthes, and if a child is not even attempting to walk by 18 montes, then they worry! 18 monthes or 1 1/2 is the cut off! Be a good mom and keep up with the check ups!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010