Would sincerely appreciate your take on this scripture. Thanks

Matthew 12:32 For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.

What does it mean to you to sin against the holy spirit?

Thankyou

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i sincerely haven't a clue. i'm going to bump this though.
    JazziesMom2010

Answer by JazziesMom2010 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Good Question. I am going to ask my husband about this and I will get back to you! He is really good at answering questions like this. ;)
    SBerger86

Answer by SBerger86 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• So if I speak ill of god or jesus, it will never be forgiven but If I kill someone, I can ask for forgiveness??

Nice god.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 5:52 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Roadfamily6now, Jesus is the Son Of Man.

aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 6:00 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Jesus is the son of God. The son of man is people. The verse means if you speak bad about men then God with forgive you but if you speak bad about the Holy Spirit then you will not be forgiven, not now nor in heaven.
    SBerger86

Answer by SBerger86 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• its referred to as 'blasphemy'..and is considered, scripturally, as the one unpardonable sin.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:21 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i agree that they are talking about blasphemy
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit ... from what I understand the only way to commit this sin is to knowingly call the Holy Spirit a liar. In order to do this, you'd have to have the truth of the Spirit revealed to you, and then you would have actively speak contrary to that. Since the Holy Spirit reveals truth to those chosen by God, this sin would have to be committed by a fallen Christian, much in the same way that Satan is a fallen angel who knowingly calls the Holy Spirit a liar.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• From my view, this is referring to Jesus - who calls himself the Son of Man to indicate his humanity, and also says that Christ will return as the "Son of Man" - vs the Holy Spirit. Saying that you can doubt/try to refute/speak ill of Jesus, and be forgiven, but when the Holy Spirit has undeniably and irrefutably been revealed to you, to speak against it is unforgivable. I agree with Gal51 that it's a sin that could only be committed by a fallen Christian.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• God and Jesus(son of man) can forgive those who wrong them but its blasphemy and beyond forgiveness to deny or speak against the holy spirit/ghost.

I was raised to believe that was the most unpardonable sin...denial of the holy spirit.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010