What are the odds of needing stitches with a second natural birth?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• depends on a lot of things. Size of baby, position you are pushing in, position baby is in, how you push, nuchal hand, etc.....

I'd say, in general, your chances of tearing are less with subsequent deliveries though.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 6:01 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have two dds I tore REALLY bad with my first- no comment on the fact that the midwife I was using never even attempted an episiotomy- and I tore pretty good the second time as well. I tore up the same place I had the first time and not quite as severe but the doctor seemed surprised. So I don't know that it's terribly common but if you do tear it probably won't be nearly as bad.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 6:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Depends on the labor. My first child I only needed 4 with my 2nd I need over 40 because I had a 4th degree tear. It all depends on the labor and birth and he size of the baby. My 2nd was a pretty big baby for my small frame to deliver but i did it :)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just depend w/1st child Dr cut me, sd it would prevent tearing all over, w/2nd child i dint tear, he was bigger than my 1st.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It depends on a lot of things. With my first I had a 4th degree tear because of his position. With my second, I only needed a couple of stitches and they never bothered me at all.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I have had 4 children and am pregnant now, I only needed 2 stitches with my first! GL
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• It really depends on a lot of factors. I had a lot of stitches with my first (bad positioning- his hand was on top of his head and I had to also deliver the length of his arm to the elbow- ouch!) For my second I had only a couple of stitches and barely even felt them, with my third I had more than my second but less than my first.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:48 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My first was simple, I had an episiotomy, they gave me a couple stitches, the healed in four weeks, done. My second, I needed more than I did with my first. He was three pounds heaver, and tore my from my vagina to my butt, and from my vagina to my urethra. Not fun. Then the stitches came loose because the swelling went down, the string came loose and I had to have the bottom one restitched two weeks later. At my six week appointment The stitches hadn't dissolved because they were to close to the surface. So I had to have them removed. I also had to have silver nitrate put on the lower part of my vagina, twice, because the half healed and restitching made it heal funky.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I had 8 stitches with my first and thank god I healed so much faster
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:16 AM on Sep. 18, 2010