Do you talk to your kids about sex openly?

I feel like a lot of parents I know don't.

mom-de-uno

Asked by mom-de-uno at 6:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is only 2, but I have every intention of not only talking about it openly, but doing it WAY before he has any interest in sex whatsoever. I was raised in Europe, in a much more sexually open environment than over here, and I just know it works better. Over there, teenage pregnancies and STD-related issues are pretty much non-existent. Knowledge is power.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• when he's older, i'm not going to be like, ok, d, hit the hay so mommy and daddy can have lots of sex! because we're in a loving relationship and that's what we do! mommy and daddy have sex all the time! not that, but i'll explain to him how it works and what not.

and i pray that he and my husband never have a painful conversation like jim bob duggar and his oldest son had about female orgasm...awkward.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 6:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Sure do. I want them to see sex as I do, completely natural and healthy... IF you talk sex from a young age they grow up seeing it as a normal part of life rather than something dirty or shameful and they are more likely to be comfortable talking with you later in life as well... So yeah, we talk sex with and in front of the kids... They know all about sex - the hows and the whys... And I even explained to them homosexual sex and masturbation too... Again, they need to have all the details early if they are ever going to have a healthy outlook later.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• yes... but in an age appropriate manor

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 6:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes. I would rather tell them the truth than someone giving them false information
    nehi81

Answer by nehi81 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes. At 4 years old my son knows the difference between boys and girls. He uses correct terminology. We are keeping the communication open, no cutesy words, no making it shameful.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010