When your baby started to really "eat" solids, did you give him less formula?

My son takes 5.5 ounces 5 times a day and is now actually eating solids at morning, lunch, and dinner. Should I reduce the amount of forumla I am giving him as he seems to be spitting up a little more than usual (he is only awake from 7am- 7:30pm so we feed him every 3 hours with solids in between).

Lisa.Price

Asked by Lisa.Price at 6:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Why the ! ?
    Lisa.Price

Comment by Lisa.Price (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No, they need the formula until they are age 1. I let the children have as much formula as they wanted.

Answer by Bmat at 6:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Once my son started to eat a fruit and a veggie for lunch and dinner I skipped those formula bottles. (If I wouldn't have be would have gained a TON of weight!) Instead of the formula, I gave him a few ounces of plain water to help rinse everything down. However, I did keep the morning bottle and the one right before bed.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes, once my kids were eating more solids we started eliminating bottles. By the time they were like 10-11 months they were down to 2-3 bottles (morning, before bed and maybe one in the middle of the day). By the time they turned 1 they were down to just 1 bottle (either right when they got up or right before bed).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:39 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Food should be IN ADDITION TO regular formula feedings. Babies need formula or breastmilk as the main source of nutrition the 1st year.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I know that babies need formula.. I was not asking if I should STOP feeding formula.. People on here take things waaaay to seriously. Do you honestly think that I am going to not give him formula? I was just asking if you reduced the amount a small bit.
    Lisa.Price

Comment by Lisa.Price (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I gave her as much solids and as much formula as she wanted. I always gave her solids first, however much she wanted, then followed up with however much formula she wanted. As she got to 10 months or so (she wasn't really into solids at all until 8 months), I felt like she was eating enough at meals so I stopped giving her a bottle after meals, just in between. Then those became snack times, so she was down to morning and bedtime bottles. I shifted the bedtime one to after dinner, and dropped that completely at around 11 months, and the morning bottle became a cup of milk at 13 months.
    kimberlyann_214

Answer by kimberlyann_214 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• my first son was like that he would eat three times a day adn still go for the formula i asked hs doctor what should i do adn she said to just keep giving him formula as he wants. my son did end up spitting some up so what the doctor told me to do was to when i gave him the food i would not give him his whole botle i would give him half of the usual meal after he is done with that if he wanted more i woudl give him more if he didnt i would just wait until his next time he wanted to eat. usually they will let you know when thye are hungry or want more but like the doctor said you cant over feed a baby once they are done they are done
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My daughter took a little less formula once she started eating baby food but my son actually didn't. He still had his full bottle and food. I think it depends on the baby and if your little one is full that's what matters....

right when she would wake up i'd give her a bottle...then baby food once she finished the bottle
    later i'd give her a small bottle
    lunch baby food jar and then bottle
    bottle before nap and little one when she got up
    dinner jar of food and a bottle
    then a bottle before bed
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 17, 2010