Whats the earliest a baby can be born and still have a good enough sucking reflex to breastfeed?

LovingLandyn08

Asked by LovingLandyn08 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Usually 37 weeks is considered full term. Any time before that they are going to want to take the baby to the NICU for at least a checkup. Most doctors will put the baby with nothing per mouth it it is younger than 32 weeks just because it is hard on their bodies. I would say anywhere between 32-37 weeks you could probably still breastfeed, but even just pumping and giving it to the baby through a dropper or tube would be fine until he gets enough strength to really go for it.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 6:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My DD was born at 36 weeks she did have to go to micu just to get checked out but she was fine and didnt have to stay in there but we had a hard time gettin her to suck...and it was easier for the both of us for her to use a bottle ( so i never got to brest feed just she knew the diff even when i would pump and put it in a bottle she wouldnt take it) i wish i did get to though so no matter what i am with this baby
    GraciesMom52407

Answer by GraciesMom52407 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• my neice was 5 weeks early and she did just fine. so did my son nad he was 5 weeks early too.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2008