How to deal with a child that bites other people?

I have a friend whose child bites his older brother and other kids and even tries to bite his mom sometimes. So I am wondering what the solution is to that problem? Thanks.

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 6:32 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends on age.. but since you put this in babies, I'm figuring that it's a baby.. What I read is that you say flatly with not a lot of emotion, "no biting" and immediately put the child in a safe place like their crib right after they do that so they aren't getting attention from biting... and they'll quickly learn it's not getting them a good response... keep in mind, that even an "ouch that hurts!" can be a response that to them is good and they'll keep doing it to try and get the same reaction.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I forgot that the child about whom I was asking is actually about 19 months old. Such as life of a mom. ;-D
    Svetlana98usa

Comment by Svetlana98usa (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Then I would tell him flatly again with no emotion or else he will love the reaction.. No Biting! and I would isolate the child in time out immediately! ..The important thing is to not cause a reaction that he will want.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 6:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Put him in time out.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• biting is one way babies communicate if they are frustrated or angry...they cant say it, so they act it out. My son is 2.5 and bites if he isnt getting attention or if he's pissed off. I go down to his level and sternly say "NO BITE". I've tried being overdramatic saying "ouch that hurt" but he just laughs.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:27 PM on Sep. 18, 2010