Has anyone ever lived in, been to or even heard of Dubai?

I grew up in Dubai but since moving back to the States, everyone is always asking where that is and some people have even asked me what state that's in. I have to explain to them that it's in a whole other country halfway across the world from here. Just wondering if any of you have been there. If you have, what are your thoughts of the place? Personally, I absolutely LOVE it. It is home to me and always will be, after spending 18 of my 21 years there, I couldn't call it anything but. :)

JazziesMom2010

Asked by JazziesMom2010 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Travel

• i have heard about dubai on the news mostly about how they were trying to make it into an exclusive destination before the economy went south. now i heard that alot of the multi-million dollar homes are either forclosed or stopped building because people don't have the money anymore.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Never visited. Isn't it the richest city in the world? I thought I heard that, I could be wrong. They currently have the tallest building in the world and that mall they showed in No Reservations (TV, not movie) was neat with the ski park inside. I'll let them keep the sand storms though.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I've only been there once, on a stop over to Thailand, so I never made it out of the airport. Seemed awfully opulent, and I felt a bit uncomfortable because of the stares I got (I was wearing shorts and a tank top). But yeah, that's about it. Of course, this was also almost 25 years ago, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:40 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• of course, as with anywhere outside of the U.S on the news, they highlight the negatives. at least it's on the map in some way now :)
    JazziesMom2010

Comment by JazziesMom2010 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• lol, you asked if i heard of it. i only knew where it was on the globe before. i don't have an interest in going there though lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• That was one of my husband's ships port stops when he was deployed. He said he liked it alright, they sell stuff cheap there. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 6:45 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes, I've been to Dubai, UAE. I'm US Army, honorably discharged.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 6:47 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Yes I've heard of it but am not familiar enough with it to really have any solid opinions about it. I do recall hearing that there was a lot of wealth there.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:08 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Always wanted to go there. I think its Yemen thats the wealthiest city in the Middle East.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 19, 2010

• I've heard of it, but never been.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 20, 2010