How do I tell her she messed up?

I do I tell my MIL that she did something wrong? She loves to watch my daughter (5 months) but the last time (2 weeks ago) that Kaylee stayed over night with her, I brought Kaylee home the next day, and was changing her, and she still had a little bit of stool in her little lady parts. I never mentioned it to her because I did not know what to say, and now Kaylee is going back there tonight. She never had little girls (had 2 boys) so maybe she doesn't know how through she needs to be, but she is a woman, how can she not know?! I just don't want Kaylee to get an infection because I failed to say something...How would you handle this?

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 12:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2008 in Relationships

• Just tell your MIL that your daughter's recently been just a tad irritated in that area and that you're tryin' to be really careful about makin' sure she's very clean there. You don't have to bring up the other incident at all. That way you've taken care of your daughter without possibly insulting your MIL, right?
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• How do I tell ***
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• I'm sure she didn't see it. I highly doubt she did this on purpose, but if you are really worried about this then just tell her to please be throrough when she changes the babies diaper.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• "Hey, mom...she's getting a little irritated down there. I'm trying to make sure for the next few days that we're really, really careful about getting her clean. Let me know if you need more wipes, ok?"

Or something like that. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• JUST TELL HER HOW TO WIPE A BABY GIRL ! NO BIG DEAL
    Anonymous

• I would't say that she did something wrong. I would just say something like, "hey, kaylee was a little red this morning, so can you make sure to pull back her labia and wipe it really clean. ". No big deal. Usually I wouls say just say, "hey, make sure to clean all those nooks and crannies", but I do know that some people are overly sensitive, like My MIL. Correcting her at all seems to send the message taht we think that she is incapable, which isn't true. So I choose my words carefully.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• be very careful on how you word this. she could take it the wrong way.... been there and done that....... I would just tell her that she is getting a little irritated down there and that it needs to be super clean. ask her to make sure that she is getting it completely clean......
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• i would just mention it casually. i don't think she would be offended. say like babybugsmama said in her answer.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Avarah's answer is right on the nose.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:59 PM on Oct. 18, 2008

• you know, honestly, i would let it go. one time could be a mistake, and everyone makes them. sometimes when i change my daughter's diaper, i discover a small brownish tinge where she got a piece of poo on the side of her butt where i missed, or even in the private crease. it's a small mistake, so don't get too upset about it. you don't need to start something with her if you have a good relationship.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2008