Acid Reflux

Doea anyone have a baby suffering from pretty bad acid reflux? How do you handle the gagging/choking episodes and what medication worked for you?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest did. She just had to out grow it. She slept sitting up in a bouncy seat for the first 4 mo of her life. The doctor tried her on zantac & it didnt really seem to help so, we just stopped. When she began to drink more formula (6 oz.) we had to thicken it with cereal or she would bring it all back up immediately (yes, the doctor told us to do this, before I get chastised for saying it). The doctor also tried us out on Nexium (which I had to open the capsules & mix with baby food since that is the only form our insurance would pay for) It didnt seem to help much either. I made sure to only dress her in loose fitting clothes around her middle. Not to lay her down flat at all. We had to avoid bouncing her around too much...even hours after eating. As she's gotten older we have learned she can not drink orange juice or lemonade or she has issue with it, that's the only thing now that gives her a problem.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 6:49 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son has had it the past couple of days its hard but i'm thinking I might have to switch formulas
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• my son was born w acid reflux and he was put on zantax and i changed bottles to dr browns and though he still had the gagging spells this helped.
    nattie123

Answer by nattie123 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son is now 5 months old and has had acid reflux since he was about 2 weeks old and it's bad. I started breast feeding but for reasons of my own I had to stop (his reflux started on breast milk so if anyone tells you that breastmilk will solve it they're wrong). We tried Zantac and it just wasn't strong enough. Our son is now on Prevacid solutabs (7.5mg 2x a day). He is also on Bethanechol to help keep his stomach contents down. This combination, along with Similac Sensitive RS, have worked wonders for him. While nothing but time will cure his reflux, it has become more manageable and less painful for him. We also keep him upright for 30 mins after a feeding and try not to move him around a lot. Whatever you do be proactive (I can tell by this post that you obviously are) because if it's extremely bad it can cause long term damage to your babie's esophogus. Also, it will get better so just hang in there!!
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 3:25 PM on Sep. 18, 2010