my son is getting completely out of control!!

my son has always been quite the hyperactive child. and he would really only listen to me and his father. but for the past few weeks he has been SOOO bad! saying no to everything i say, and testing me to my absolute limit. whining and crying every single time he doesn't get what he wants. and when i try to punish him he FREAKS out. im talking flailing around like a crazy person, and screaming at the top of his lungs. its embarrassing when it happens in public too!! i dont know what has changed in the past few weeks but it needs to STOP!!! im at my whits end right now, and i need help before i explode!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• just stay consistant with the consequences and he'll stop all the drama. don't let him see it's getting to you. he'll only keep it up if he gets a reaction from you. if he doesn't get a reaction and just punishment, he'll get tired of it and stop.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Oh how I remember those times. My daughter did the same thing and basically you have to not take them out in public for awhile. When you are at home DO NOT GIVE IN. Let him cry , scream whatever in his room - sometimes it will last hours but you need to stay strong and learn to have selective hearing!!! You punish him every time he acts up and when he starts his fits, let him. Pretty soon he will realize that doesn't work and he is going to have to get used to not having his way all the time. If he becomes distructive just sit on the couch and hold him tight ,in your lap and don't let go until he calms down. Believe me I have been there done that , it works you just got to stick with it. If you don't your child will only get worse and as they get older you will have no control. Good Luck stay strong
    bestmomever82

Answer by bestmomever82 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• My son is 4 and is juuuust like that. Iv started taking his things away when he acts up. It works great with him.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 7:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Just stay consistent and strict
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:14 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• ...and don't be embarrassed about public tantrums - any one who has actually had children will sympathize.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:37 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• He's just doing what kids are supposed to do -- find out what mommy will let them get away with. Do not over-react. Stay calm and ignore the behavior the best you can. When he is behaving well, give lots of praise and say how this good behavior is so much better than the bad behavior. Tell him NO when he asks for things after a tantrum, saying that boys who behave like that don't get ____- whatever it is he asked for. It'll take a little time, but he'll learn.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:10 PM on Sep. 18, 2010