Menstrual cup?

Apparently, they've been around for years but I just recently heard about these. Has anyone here heard about or used menstrual cups like "MoonCup" or "DivaCup"?

If you have, what are your feelings about them? Are they comfortable?

If you haven't tried it yet, would you?

I'm considering trying it after I give birth but .. for some reason I don't think I'll be sticking with it.

JazziesMom2010

Asked by JazziesMom2010 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Health

• I haven't ever tried the MoonCup, but I love my Diva Cup! Wouldn't trade it for the world. I used to use tampons when I was younger and because of the chemicals I developed an allergy to them and can no longer use them. Maxi pads are just gross (although I do use cloth pads for heavy days when I'm going to be out all day and may leak or the days before my period in-case I spot)... The cups are wonderful! I have less leaks than I ever did with tampons and there are no chemicals, it's more comfortable and MUCH cheaper!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• great to hear from someone who's had experience with them! i cannot stand pads which is why i want to use the cup for after-birth. thank you!
    JazziesMom2010

Comment by JazziesMom2010 (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Used the Diva cup for years and loved it. I now have an IUD and they are not advised since there can be some suction while removing them that can pull the IUD out too. I now use sea sponges instead. The cups take a little getting used to and I always wore a panty liner just in case. It is not recommended to use anything internally for the after birth bleeding according to my midwife.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I don't have periods anymore, but I used the Instead cups for years. That's the disposable soft cup. I couldn't comfortably wear tampons after I had kids, and I had super heavy, painful periods. They were the only thing that didn't leak and that I didn't have a problem with. You can even have sex with the Instead cup in. They take some getting used to, but IMO they are a million times better than tampons or pads.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:19 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I learned something new today. I have no periods b/c I have the mirena in.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 17, 2010