How to get my daughter to stop being so lazy

And clean up her room properly, not just shove dirty clothes back in her drawer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• start taking away stuff she loves until she does what you tell her

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Empty her room and only give her a bed, dresser and lamp. When she can follow your rules, take care of her things and do her chores, she can have her other stuff back. Be prepared for some protesting, LOUD protesting.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:03 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Cattle prod?

I went through what the PP's suggested with my dd- for MONTHS she only had her bed, and I even took away all but 5 outfits!!! Within HOURS of getting anything back, she would have it trashed.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:15 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• i personally have no children this age but my very close Aunt does and 1 thing that has helped her get her girls to do their chores is taking away their friends and special activities until they are done...
    MamaCortney

Answer by MamaCortney at 7:35 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• What we did; sat her down and told her if her floor was not clear and dirty clothes put in laundry chute, we would pick everything up and put in garbage bags. She tested us; we did it. Until she did as we asked, we kept the things hid. Finally she realized her clothes were dwindling. It takes a lot to stay ahead of girls. One time, with our other daughter, her dad told her if she didn't start cleaning her room and make it at least presentable, he would take the door off its hinges. The door finally came down and after a battle of wills between them, the door was put back up.
    DianeParog

Answer by DianeParog at 10:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• If you figure it out tell me. My 10yo daughter is so freaking lazy. Whenever it's time to clean up suddenly nothing that is out belongs to her (even though 20 minutes earlier she was screaming at one of her sisters for touching her toy that is out). My almost 8yo and 4yo just shove stuff anywhere when they pick up instead of just putting it where it belongs the first time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:26 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Let them stay in her drawer until she has nothing else to wear in that clothing line (such as underwear). Then have her pull them out and wash them herself. Unfotunately today, I find that parents are afraid of being reported to DFS so they do not discipline their children. I'll probably get a zero for this answer!!
    binky4me

Answer by binky4me at 2:33 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• I don't really pay too much attention to my children's bedrooms and I know some will disagree with me. I just don't care what their room looks like because I don't have to be in there. If my children don't want to pick up their things and they get broken or lost its not my problem, if they don't bring their dirty clothes to the laundry room its not my problem. They are old enough to care for their own things and responsible enough to remember they need clean clothes. A few times of not having their clothes washed they figure it out pretty quick.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 20, 2010

• Start by getting her to help you in folding clothes from the dryer. Do it on a regular basics. You have to be real patience in this process but it will pay off in the end. When she sees the end result of her neatness she'll starting realizing the value of a clean room. When you've master that then start giving other chores to master. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• punishment
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2010