How do I get my son to focus more on school?

virgomom95

Asked by virgomom95 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• First determine if ADD? I was one of those moms that made my first child wait too long for meds. It hurts them socially and with their teacher. Keeping in close contact with the teacher by email has helped us. We now ask for front chair, even though the child may complain. Also, we found the chair closest to the door, was not good for our child. If your child is young enough, use poker chips in a jar and at the end of the week; count the chips and give him what you have decided they are worth. If you get a negative email or note from their teacher, decide ahead of time how many chips you take away or they don't get for the day. We found bribing does work. :)
    DianeParog

Answer by DianeParog at 7:27 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• There are several things connected with this problem to consider. First I agree with Diane Paroq.....have him tested for ADHD and also find out what grade level he actually is. Is he ahead of the class and bored ...... Is he behind and having lots of problems. ADHD is a problem that plagues many bright kids and you have to find things that keep them on track. My personal problem was with my son. He was ADHD and I hated meds. He was a very bright boy, and he was bored to tears as well as adhd and it caused problems for everyone. Once he got on meds for the problem, he went from not reading at all to a 6th grade reader in one semester. If on the other hand your child is having problems that he needs extra help with, then he still needs testing so you can prove he deserves the help. I wish you the best, it's very tough wading through.
    GiGito1SoFar

Answer by GiGito1SoFar at 7:59 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Praise and rewards..

Answer by older at 1:41 PM on Sep. 18, 2010

• Have a quite place in your household to focus with his homework. Say like when you go to the library there is no other distractions other than what's in front of you.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• i agree with older
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:13 AM on Sep. 26, 2010