Where should he sleep now?

my 11 month old (will b 1yr october 17) is giving me trouble with were he sleeps. He obviously grew out of his basennett, wont sleep in a playpin, & recently pulled himself over the bars and onto the floor. His crib is high & Im really scared he might hurt himself if he falls out. He already fell out once. What scared me was I was trying to let him cry himself to sleep cause he was in dyer need of a nap. When I usually let him cry himself to sleep he usually cries for 30mins and then falls asleep. That day was just like the others, he cried and then stopped. I usually check on him after he stops to see if hes alright. When I went in that day he was out of his crib & on the floor sleeping on a blanket. From that day forward I havent left him unattended in his crib. I usually stand by the door and wait til he falls asleep. What should I do. Is a bed too soon??

melby1317

Asked by melby1317 at 7:04 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is escaping he may be feeling too confined by the crib especially if he's fine sleeping on the floor. Did you know this is actually a 6th sense. not like the movie but for real, scientifially. Its sometimes refered to as spatial recognition. Like the way when you close your eyes and spin you can still "feel" where objects around you are. Maybe he just has an issue with this. I would suggest trying the toddler bed with the rails. He may just feel tha tmuch more comfortable and sleep fine. Besides, if he does fall at least its a lot closer to the floor than the crib and you can keep a pillow or folded up blanket there until you are sure he can handle it. I just recommend putting a bell or something on the doorknob so he doesn't start a wandering habit. If trying the toddler bed doesn't work then you're no worse off than you are now...
    GoldenLinds

Answer by GoldenLinds at 7:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Put him to sleep outside of the crib, and check on him frequently? Both my boys napped on our bed and learned to crawl down early on... so they would just crawl down when they woke up at this age.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:17 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• well my son slept in the bed with me at that age but every parent is different what makes you feel comfy is howyou should go
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• with both of my sons i would put them on my bed for their naps their crib was in my room so i would put them there at night since i could actually see them but during the day i put them on my bed right in the middle so they wont roll over and they would nap. i learned this was best for my first son because he would cry eery time i would put him on his crib during the day i would just put him on my bed and he would fall asleep. you can try that see if he falls asleep or if you think your son is ready you can get him a toddler bed they are not as high so if he does fall over he wont get hurt. we got my son his toddle bed on his first bday and he loved it
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• In my house, once you can climb out of the crib the crib goes! At this point you can simply take down the crib and put the mattress right on the floor.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• does your crib lower? mine has different heights. i had to lower my son's crib to the lowest railing because he was trying to climb out. if not then i suggest a toddler bed. or putting lots of blankets or pillows on the floor. so just in case he does climb out he won't get hurt.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• yeah sadly enough its as low as it goes. Hes a tall baby for his age. at 9 months he was only 7inch shy from being 3 feet tall. that was 2 months ago. hes strong too. so i dont know what to do. we share our room with him so I dont want to put him in a toddler bed unless i have to cause I know he will be all over the place and he might get hurt. I have also tried putting him in our bed to fall asleep. Doesnt work. He gets up and rolls, crawls, or just dives off of the bed. Im lost for ideas.
    melby1317

Comment by melby1317 (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I would try to lower the crib. My nephew started sleeping in a toddler bed once he could walk right after a year though....but he saw his big brother sleeping there
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 17, 2010