Just some thoughts (Pit Bull related!)

My DH and I adopted a boxer/American Pit Bull Terrier 3 1/2 years ago. At the time, we weren't wholly aware of the controversy surrounding the breed. Since we've had our dog, he's been certified as an AKC Canine Good Citizen, and we've learned more about the breed than we ever thought we'd need to know!
Some facts:
The American Pit Bull Terrier passes the American Temperament Test at a higher rate than Golden Retrievers (86% for the APBT vs 84.6% for the Golden; atts.org)
Pit Bulls don't have locking jaws and their brains don't swell causing them to go insane (ask any licensed veterinarian)
Pit Bulls were known as Nanny dogs in the 1900s, and were also used on WWI propaganda posters as a symbol for our country's strength and determination.

There are vicious dogs of ANY breed. Pit bulls get a bad rep due to irresponsible owners and thugs who only want them as status symbols.
[end vent]

Thoughts? No bashing please, be polite!

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2010 in Pets

• 6 years of working in animal hospitals. I have yet to meet an aggressive Pitbull. One of the best best breeds out there. Believe it or not, the most aggressive breed I have dealt with are Chiuhuahuas. True story, smaller dogs tend to be more aggressive than big dogs. And I agree with DomoniqueWS about Dalmations, that breed does tend to be timid and fearful, sometimes aggressive as well. Pits have a bad rep because of the owners training them. You don't seeing people training Labs to fight Labs.
    Good thing to remember : BAD DOGS ARE MADE, NOT BORN.
    XdollskinX

Answer by XdollskinX at 7:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2010

• You arent likely to get positive responses to this.
    But I will give you one. I have 2 and I LOVE tem. SO do my kids!!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 7:16 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• No dog locks their jaws, unless they have tetanus. It is a myth. Physiologically they are no different from any other dog breed. The difference is the bad reputation and ill use of the breed by people. The dog is just a dog, like any other. I work with dogs and I am currently majoring in Veterinary Technology. If you ask me, the most  dog is the Chihuahua.

ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• Most people can't correctly identify a pit bull, and that includes most cops and quite a few veterinarians. Can 'you'?

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

All dogs are capable of violence. The larger ones are capable of causing more damage ~ and more damage (more blood) makes better news and generates more income for the media.  Pits who are treated well and socialized are no more dangerous and just as trustworthy as any other well raised and socialized dog.  A lot of the problems that are associated with pits would end if the people who breed/teach aggression were punished the same way the dogs are.

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• I love that you did this research. We have a rottie mix and get alot of the same reactions from people. Dogs are pretty much all the same when it comes down to it and they act based on how they are trained and raised. Pit bull just tend to get trained to be mean more often then others.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:38 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• You don't hear about smaller breeds attacking because the owners think it is cute or funny when the small breed becomes aggressive or protective. The fact is smaller dogs do bite more than larger breeds but they are reported less because the smaller breed does less damage. My oldest DD was attacked by a black lab, she was in a arm sling for 6 weeks. The attack was unprovoked and the owner was there.. As far as the dalmatian thing, yes.. When the movie came out a lot of parents went out to get the dogs for their homes and did not understand how aggressive they can be and that lead to over breeding and more attacks. Point is any dog can bite, hell if it has teeth it can bite. Some breeds will do more damage than others with just one bite. I grew up with 2 pits and they were great. My kids grew up with a rottie, they slept on her and she watched them in the yard. She went everywhere with us...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:29 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• www.cbsnews.com/stories/.../22/.../main6703350.shtml
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=91300
    Anonymous

• My mom has two dogs, brother and sister, same litter, and they are half doberman, half pit bull
    Huge dogs, female is 100lbs male is 125lbs
    They are very kind, need attention, and are kind of possessive with toys and bones, those huge mammoth ones.
    But overall are great dogs, just require a lot of attention and let buyer be ware that since these dogs have such bad reps you need to have them trained. Even if it isn't needed, a well trained bully breed has more credibility. I remember when my dog Kane, pit, was a puppy this lady freaked out and we were 5 feet away from her, she ran in the street and everything, kane was leashed as well. People are just freaks when it comes to pits but truthfully
    Dalmations have the most attacks against people, Pits have the most attacks against other dogs
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• pit-bulls.christianfunfair.org/attacks.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 17, 2010